Author Topic: Growing Mangos in Ventura County California  (Read 23943 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mangos in Ventura County California
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
All HD Manila are La Verne Mexican seedling poly-embryonic. Total difference from Philippine Manila.  Don't know why La Verne called them Manila.

they want to give the impression that it's a real Manila veracruzano to the uninformed public

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 07:39:37 PM »
Still not sure what is meant by "seedlings".  ???

I am pretty sure these trees are "grafted" trees.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »

Manila veracruzano is the real Manila and Mexico's finest mango....sold for a premium price. It is mostly exported. What La verne is propagation is your typical run of the mill mango that is found in Mexico's West Coast. It is in abundance in the month of July you can find them littering the streets during that windy month; hence the name barrecalle (street sweepers) :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
What do you think of this guy (Tim Thompson) and his mango varieties?  www.socalplantbreeders.com
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:01:14 PM by johnb51 »
John

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »

Did you see the graft unions on the trees?

Notice that these trees are bushy with many branches near ground level. I think this was due to dying back from winter freeze, like my HD tree.

Sapote

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
What do you think of this guy (Tim Thompson) and his mango varieties?  www.socalplantbreeders.com

Never had any of his varieties but his dubious claims of them being cold hardy are challenge by these rows of mangos found in his backyard.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
This red CalRuby mango picture from Tim's website, the shape and red color,  reminds me of those heavy fiber water down no taste mango from Mexico I bought in Jons supper market -- just awful mangoes.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

Did you see the graft unions on the trees?

Notice that these trees are bushy with many branches near ground level. I think this was due to dying back from winter freeze, like my HD tree.

Sapote

I looked for name tags, but only two of the trees had a name tag (see attached).

The next time I get a chance to look at them, I will look for graft unions.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
This red CalRuby mango picture from Tim's website, the shape and red color,  reminds me of those heavy fiber water down no taste mango from Mexico I bought in Jons supper market -- just awful mangoes.

Have you ever tasted Tim's Cal Ruby mango?  Several TFF members (myself included) have tasted some of Tim's mangos.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:40:04 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »

Never had any of his varieties but his dubious claims of them being cold hardy are challenge by these rows of mangos found in his backyard.

Not defending Tim... but those rows of Mango trees in his backyard ARE the results (in his eyes) of cold hardy and disease resistant Mango trees from "hundreds" of seedlings.  ???

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »
Tommy Atkins is also a very pretty mango, but that's as far as it goes.....I'd be concerned about the flavor of Mr. Thompson's mango varieties as he describes nine of out ten as being "mild" in flavor and only one as having an interesting flavor ("PineApple").  ricshaw, how did CalRuby and the others taste?  You neglected to tell us.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:29:00 AM by johnb51 »
John

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
When do these Mangos ripe in CA ? Are they now ready to be eaten?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
When do these Mangos ripe in CA ? Are they now ready to be eaten?

See this link. I don't know when is the peak, but I would think last month in August.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17539.0

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

Have you ever tasted Tim's Cal Ruby mango?  Several TFF members (myself included) have tasted some of Tim's mangos.

And???
John

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »

And???

I and others thought that it tasted good. Somewhere on the TFF Warren posted a report.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23:37 AM »
They are getting the same care the citrus and avocados and other trees get.

I guess not.

I took these pictures today.

Inside

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »
Hi Ricshaw, are they the typical frost cloth from hardware stores or something else? How do this stand in  12mph or more wind? The tent has A frames structure inside?

Sapote

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
Hi Ricshaw, are they the typical frost cloth from hardware stores or something else? How do this stand in  12mph or more wind? The tent has A frames structure inside?
Sapote

I do not know what the cloth cover is. There is steel posts with wire cable anchored to ground. They had severe winds Monday and frost the night before. I will not be back until January 6th. to check on update.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
UPDATE: May 11, 2016

The Mango trees did not do well over the winter. The temperature got down into the 20s.

It looks like the Santa Paula, California citrus belt is not a good area for Mangos.

Stan

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »
Looks good to me. A row of Mango shrubs like that could feed a family. Who in an urban situation needs to feed the block with a huge tree?  Ventura has Hayward like high temps all summer...well,today its warmer here then down there..but I see the same results.
Its why I tell locals some rules of growing..if you want many fruits...plant 4,5, trees.  Make sure you protect from freezing temps the first two winters at all costs. By the third winter they can take one short freeze a year.

Its an interest worth doing because they do taste great. If this is "Are they worth growing commercially in a climate that averages 75f summers?" Of course not.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
It is sad to see those mangoes were damaged by the winter cold. I bet if they let the trees grow tall – like the funny video in Arizona – then the high canopy could protect the trees better. The “famers” of this place seemed to love chopping all trees low, including the nearby figs trees.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
Looks good to me. A row of Mango shrubs like that could feed a family. Who in an urban situation needs to feed the block with a huge tree?  Ventura has Hayward like high temps all summer...well,today its warmer here then down there..but I see the same results.
Its why I tell locals some rules of growing..if you want many fruits...plant 4,5, trees.  Make sure you protect from freezing temps the first two winters at all costs. By the third winter they can take one short freeze a year.

Its an interest worth doing because they do taste great. If this is "Are they worth growing commercially in a climate that averages 75f summers?" Of course not.
stan
you mean hayward has Ventura like temps you are north of point Concepcion 37 parallel let not forget that. 

Stan

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »
lol,whichever. They are so similar winter and summer the percentages mean both grow plants with about the same results.   I know on one website we had some high sunny day count. I think that helps. By mid June lows get to about 60f. THAT'S when I see the tropical's really taking off.

That's why those Ventura Mangoes with hefty trunks for height are just like mine-VERY familiar look-lol and I know that the lush look comes over with later flushes. So to me they are good garden/backyard results. I get Plumeria to bloom, I have Plumeria obtusa going good in a pot outdoors all year. So,Im meeting some minimal heat requirements.
Now,San Jose is even warmer..man,I know you could grow them there. There are taller trunking Majesty palms there,and with all the Tipu trees San Jose has a strong soucal vibe. Palms everywhere.

Its so different from when I was a child in the 60's JF. No more frozen ice puddles,lawn frost is rare. The USDA backs that up.Moved us from 9b to 10a.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 08:02:31 PM »
lol,whichever. They are so similar winter and summer the percentages mean both grow plants with about the same results.   I know on one website we had some high sunny day count. I think that helps. By mid June lows get to about 60f. THAT'S when I see the tropical's really taking off.

That's why those Ventura Mangoes with hefty trunks for height are just like mine-VERY familiar look-lol and I know that the lush look comes over with later flushes. So to me they are good garden/backyard results. I get Plumeria to bloom, I have Plumeria obtusa going good in a pot outdoors all year. So,Im meeting some minimal heat requirements.
Now,San Jose is even warmer..man,I know you could grow them there. There are taller trunking Majesty palms there,and with all the Tipu trees San Jose has a strong soucal vibe. Palms everywhere.

Its so different from when I was a child in the 60's JF. No more frozen ice puddles,lawn frost is rare. The USDA backs that up.Moved us from 9b to 10a.

From the perspective of growing subtropicals and tropicals, the bay area benefits from the bay itself and the surrounding mountains, keeping temperatures warmer than would otherwise be the case.  Basically all the land surrounding the bay itself is in USDA zone 10a, and some (parts of SF and the East Bay) are zone 10b.  The zone 10b areas are a bit heat challenged, except for a tiny part of Oakland near Lake Merrit that has the best of both worlds and is probably comparable to the zone 10b parts of Santa Barbara county, and has the benefit of getting enough rain that most fruit trees don't require irrigation once established.  But even the rest of the East Bay from Milpitas to Richmond/El Sobrante are solidly 10a and many of those spots like Hayward and Fremont get decent warmth too.

I sort of see it as a tradeoff -- living further South means more warmth and less rain, and living further North means less warmth and more rain.  From a fruit perspective it's just a question of finding a balance that works for the trees you want to grow.  Poring over the climate data a few years back, I found that the station at Hearst Castle has the magic balance -- frost free, decent warmth, and plentiful rainfall.  If only it weren't so remote and it were possible to live there...

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
I remember many mornings in San Jose with dead unprotected tropicals and ice on windshield. Lived there in different areas of San Jose for 14 years. Overall it's too dry and too cold too often to have unprotected thriving tropicals. I remember hot dry days and warm nights in summer time but the winters and prolonged cold are the real challenge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk