Author Topic: Multi rootstock trial  (Read 4611 times)

echinopora

• View Profile
Multi rootstock trial
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:29:20 AM »
This whole multiple rootstock thing has me interested,  mostly because there is very little solid evidence or experimental data.
I started practicing on jackfruit

Then onto bigger game

Looks like I should end up with 4 of each experimental group and 5 control mexicans. Now off to the (very slow) races.

Cheers

Rob

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Multi rootstock trial
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
Also very interested in this technique though I have killed many otherwise healthy plants with it ha ha!

Here is a mexican Garcinia grafted for probably the better half of a year and doing alot better than my singles by far. Since the photo its shot out two massive leaves and seems set to push more:)

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
This is very exciting for me, I'm starting to multiple rootstock everything. Stay tuned for my next experiments.

Here is some great info on multiple rootstock technology:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=109.0

And on Double Stone Grafting:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16549.0

I just received my mother trees and rootstocks from Adam for my multiple rootstock Jaboticaba experiments so stay tuned.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
Multiple rootstock technology is being used in India, Thailand, Australia, Phillipines,Taiwan and several people are testing out a few trees in the USA, including myself. Bernie Dizon in the Phillipines has trees in full production and uses this technology on his prized Guimaras variety.

http://www.philstar.com/agriculture/252796/promise-multiple-rootstock-technology?nomobile=1

Simon

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
It will be interesting to see all the results. I'm wondering if using different species will speed things up or just cause delayed incompatibility problems. Time will tell. What are you planning to use for jaboticaba rootstock? Grimal seems to make vigorous dry tolerant seedlings for me, I've got a number sitting around, it would be interesting to see if it made a good rootstock for the more finicky ones

Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
I think information on multiple rootstock technology is difficult to find because it will be unwise to share technology with competitors that increases yield, increases precocity and inhibit alternate bearing. You can contact Bernie Dizon through email, I emailed him several years ago and he replied.

I'm using Sabara as rootstock just to test the waters, it was recommended by our Jab expert Adam. I will be adding additional rootstocks to Grimal grafted onto Sabara.

Simon

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:33 AM »
Multiple rootstock was a brand used by Mr. Dizon in the Philippines.  He operates a nursery in the Philippines so his pitch is to sell multiple rootstock fruit trees.  Profit wise, price doubles because of the extra rootstock used.  But the technique is being used decades ago before he used it to sell fruit trees.  The technique is known as nurse grafting or commonly known as modified approach grafting. Nurse grafting was used to support mother trees that have been plagued by root problems. Example is the original valencia orange mother tree in California.  They approached grafted several citrus rootstock in the mother tree so that if the main rootstock dies, the remaining other rootstock will take over the grafted union part. In Thailand, they use nurse grafting on mother trees of Durian varities because of phytoptora disease. 
Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the information fruit nursery, there is an older thread here where multiple rootstock technology was being used to overcome diseases and root rot.

Do you happen to have any pictures of larger, producing multiple rootstock trees? Bernie Arizona website used to have pictures but I can't seem to be able to find it anymore.

Simon

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »

Triple rootstock Rambutan "R-5" variety, one of the best Rambutan variety in my book.

7 year old quadruple Langsat "Longkong Bunch" variety. The rootstocks fused together already as the tree gets old.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, the tree looks so nice the way the rootstocks all fused. Hopefully I will have some information on growth and production in the coming years.

Simon

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »
Looks awesome. What size do you think the jabs will be best to graft at? So far I've found green wood grafts seem to heal best but thats not really possible on jaboticaba. I've been using tomato grafting clips with good success on small green wood jackfruit,  stonefruit, garcinia and sapote, might give a sabara to grimal a go since I can just go dig up some seedlings from under some local trees.

Rob

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
Simon,

In my experience in growing and using multiple rootstock fruit trees. Here are few tips that I have learned not found in books:

1. The higher the graft union point is better to approach graft another rootstock.  Chances are when they fuse together and get consumed in the soil, the other rootstock, might rot or get damaged.

2. Use same variety of rootstocks to approach graft the grafted fruit tree.  Using different varietal rootstock might delay physiological growth of the grafted tree.

3. Use same size diametered rootstock as of the rootstock of the grafted fruit tree.  In my experience, not using same sized rootstock approached graft unto to the grafted fruit tree delays the growth or stunts physiological fruiting time of the tree. This happened to my Langsat "Longkong" variety, instead of prolific growth, it stunted the physiological growth because multiple rootstocks that dont have same size tend to wait each other go grow the same size trunks to finally become prolific.

3. I recommend just using double rootstock for fruit production purposes. I use multiple rootstock to save a mother tree for save it or use it for prolific flushing to get scions.

4. Multiple rootstock technology doesnt guarantee increased fruit production on fruit crop varieties dont respond effectively on multiple rootstock technique.  One case is the carabao variety mango, they used multiple rootstock in a commercial scale. Problem is, the tree grew faster but didnt fruit as expected of the technique because physiologically, the variety is a biennial fruiting variety so instead what happened the tree kept on flushing leaves. worst is the planted the fruit in a wrong area.  The lesson is to check the variety of fruit if it is regular bearing variety or irregular one. Tendency is that multiple rootstock disrupts the growth and physiological fruiting pattern of the tree.

5. Doesnt mean that your frui tree is multiple rootstock doesnt mean you fertilize your tree just like one tree, if you have double rootstock? you double your fertlization input on the tree or as you increase rootstock, you increase fertilization input according how many rootstock you use.

6. You need to take care your trees if its single or multiple rootstock. 

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
Rob,

You can approach graft when the rootstocks are calipered pencil size. Or for bigger grafted trees, approach graft rootstocks which are hard and woody stem. Use same size rootstocks as of the rootstock of the grafted tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk