Author Topic: Lychee tree  (Read 2182 times)

Katmon

• USA,Florida,Naples 10/11
    • View Profile
Lychee tree
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
I have a 6' lychee tree planted on a mound (much rain ) I wish to dig it up and transplant it in the Florida keys any thoughts or ideas on this venture ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee tree
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Prune heavily to a stump with enough foliage and cut 40cm around the tree with a spade and water.Let it settle and lift and loosen the soil plug a week later. In another week dig out,replant and shade it until it settles.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »
I have a 6' lychee tree planted on a mound (much rain ) I wish to dig it up and transplant it in the Florida keys any thoughts or ideas on this venture ?

It may be a fruitless effort, literally.
- Rob

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
Moving a 6' Lychee tree shouldn't be much of a problem, just follow Mike's advice. I recently dug up a 12' Hak Ip Lychee and moved it to my new home in Palm Beach County. I started pruning the roots back in June and took about 4' off the canopy when I moved the tree in September. Here's a couple of photos, when I moved the tree and the tree today. The tree never dropped a leaf and is now pushing out new growth. I'm looking forward to a good crop in 2017 as it had 25 lbs. of fruit this year.........Larry G
PS....your biggest problem may be digging a hole in the Keys but I assume you've already prepared for that.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Moving a 6' Lychee tree shouldn't be much of a problem, just follow Mike's advice. I recently dug up a 12' Hak Ip Lychee and moved it to my new home in Palm Beach County. I started pruning the roots back in June and took about 4' off the canopy when I moved the tree in September. Here's a couple of photos, when I moved the tree and the tree today. The tree never dropped a leaf and is now pushing out new growth. I'm looking forward to a good crop in 2017 as it had 25 lbs. of fruit this year.........Larry G
PS....your biggest problem may be digging a hole in the Keys but I assume you've already prepared for that.

Updates?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk