Author Topic: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016  (Read 21220 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I found what appears to be a female flower on my Berry last night.  I will update with photos later today.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »
Awesome!!!!  Not too surprising that monster is fruiting.

Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »

Cool! I think yours must be the first fruiting tree from all of those seedlings.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »

ostimg.org/image/3kjveam7z/][/url]

Cool! I think yours must be the first fruiting tree from all of those seedlings.
[/quote]

Ill do my best to get that girl to turn into a mature fruit.  Time to collect some pollen !

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »

Ill do my best to get that girl to turn into a mature fruit.  Time to collect some pollen !
[/quote]

Have you ever had documented success from hand pollinating?
- Rob

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »

[/quote]

I gave mine (non amber/berry) a good handjob yesterday and today. There were a lot flys around as well. I can't say for sure that it works but I did the same thing last year and the fruit set, plus I just like the interaction with the tree.
-Josh

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 12:20:24 AM »
Murahilin, your 'Amber' jackfruit tree looks really good and happy, congrats.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 06:58:50 AM »

You bring up a good point .  It's really anecdotal and subjective.  My BKLS isn't that great of a self pollinator, and left untouched can have poor and incomplete pollination.  I have found that hand pollination increases the size and content of those particular fruit.  Nothing scientific there at all though.

I have also observed zero failures with hand pollinated fruit at this point. 

Two reasons I'm spending (maybe wasting) time on hand pollinating the Berry - Not a lot of pollen nearby, and I've never tried the fruit before. 

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
Figured I would update with my seedlings progress..

Berry -  Doing well with one fruit growing.  It is a little misshapen but it is putting on size. 

Amber -  The larger of my two Amber's is holding 1 fruit, and 1 female flower in the receptive stage that I am hand pollinating.  This tree surprised me since I thought it would take another year to fruit. 

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »
Hi Sleepdoc. How are these Jackfruit coming along? I would love to buy seeds if you will have them available.
-Josh

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »
Me too! ++
El verde es vida!

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
me 3

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »
Both the Amber and Berry matured fruit.  1 Berry, and 2 Amber. 

Brandon and I found the Berry to be excellent.  To me it was the best I had all year.  Brandon Ranked it near the top as well.  But not everyone felt he same.  Harry, Abayomi, and Sheehan ranked it lower.

The Amber was also a Nice fruit.  I ranked it below Bangkok Lemon and Brandon's mystery Excalibur Red.  Sheehan however ranked the Amber above the Exc red. 

Anyway, we can assume that both will improve with tree age.  IMO both are winners, especially considering their precocity and vigor.

I did not keep any seeds. 

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
Both the Amber and Berry matured fruit.  1 Berry, and 2 Amber. 

Brandon and I found the Berry to be excellent.  To me it was the best I had all year.  Brandon Ranked it near the top as well.  But not everyone felt he same.  Harry, Abayomi, and Sheehan ranked it lower.

The Amber was also a Nice fruit.  I ranked it below Bangkok Lemon and Brandon's mystery Excalibur Red.  Sheehan however ranked the Amber above the Exc red. 

Anyway, we can assume that both will improve with tree age.  IMO both are winners, especially considering their precocity and vigor.

I did not keep any seeds.

Nice to hear a report. Thanks!
-Josh

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
I'm giving up on my amber tree.  It's grown very little over the past 2 years and I need the spot for a tree that will produce. 

Before I yank it I want to offer it to any member who will come dig it up.  It's disease free and seems healthy but just is not growing fast. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:49 AM »
Had my first Amber today. The fruit definitely did not disappoint. It had sort of orangey lemonade flavor with fairly strong acidity. Not undesirable acidity, but the one very much appreciated in mangoes for flavor balance.  Texture and flavor wise, fruit was much like high quality chempedak without sickening sweetness of the later. Super low latex, everything tears apart very easily with fingers, and fingers never felt sticky entire time. While I did not get deep apricot color of the mother tree I was really looking for, overall very pleased with the quality.

Many many thanks to a very kind forum member for the seeds, whose name I won't mention because he is always bombarded with seeds request anytime he posts something :) .

I have some seeds for trade only if you have something unique. Scions from S. FL are acceptable.
The tree exhibits traits of extreme productivity. Pumping flowers non stop. I removed about 25 male and female flowers in the last few weeks, wanting it to establish a little.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
That looks nothing like Sleepdoc's amber, which was orange colored. I think the structure was different too, less rag.  Your taste description, while sounding very much like a fruit I would absolutely love, is not close to what we experienced here, sweet and earthly with the smallest hint of some spice like anise or licorice.   Your flavor description does sound like Sleepdoc's Berry.  Are the leaves long and pointed, sort of like a mango?  Maybe a seedling mix-up.  But I have personally planted seedlings and the fruit end up nothing like the parent.  I am starting to think people searching for seeds of a particular parentage would do just as well planting seeds of any good jackfruit they encounter since the genetics do not seem to carry forward. 

If you want to reduce the acidity, try waiting a day after the fruit is soft on the tree and see if the acidity goes down. This is a hard theory to prove but I think acidity may be reduced by leaving the fruit on the tree longer.  This seems to be the case with Bangkok Lemon.
Brandon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
I agree with Brandon.   That fruit looks a lot like and the taste description sounds a lot like ( great description BTW) what I have planted out as a "Berry Seedling". 

Genetic variation or perhaps seed mix up?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 11:11:01 PM »
That's quite odd about it being Berry progeny suspect.  Unless there was a seed mix up by the sender, I never officially received Berry. I have two more seedlings coming along from the same batch at slower pace, leaves are similar on all of them. Not narrow.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2017, 11:21:28 PM »
That's quite odd about it being Berry progeny suspect.  Unless there was a seed mix up by the sender, I never officially received Berry. I have two more seedlings coming along from the same batch at slower pace, leaves are similar on all of them. Not narrow.

Were your seeds from an actual Amber or seeds of a seedling of Amber?
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »
Straight from the source,  actual grafted Amber allegedly. Even if there was mix up with Berry, I'm not complaining. Can't look at teeth of the exellent gifted horse  :D
I don't think anybody even had Amber seedling seeds 3 years ago outside Australia. And even those sources I would not be aware of.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »
It was probably just genetic reshuffling.  If you are happy with the eating quality of the fruit, it is a success. 

Did you plant multiple Amber seedlings? I did an experiment planting 5 seedlings from the same fruit and the resulting trees, planted 6 feet apart in a row, are visually different.  Only one has produced fruit, two years ago, another significant difference. The parent fruit had yellow flesh and seedling #1 has orange flesh.
Brandon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
Did you plant multiple Amber seedlings? I did an experiment planting 5 seedlings from the same fruit and the resulting trees, planted 6 feet apart in a row, are visually different.  Only one has produced fruit, two years ago, another significant difference. The parent fruit had yellow flesh and seedling #1 has orange flesh.

I did mention that I have two more seedlings. One is similar in grow habit of the one that just fruited, but grows at 2X slower pace. Another one is short but super bushy, sort of like trained mango tree.

I did find Sleepdoc's post with Berry seedling fruit and his fruit looks nothing like my. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20626.msg253911#msg253911

Seems like he needs to use knife a lot and central core is  thick and wide. My fruit had  thin and soft skin. I did even need a knife to open the fruit. Central core comes out with a hand pull like on marang or chempedak. Never seen that in jackfruit. Than "cut up" entire fruit with just two hands pull. That's how I ended up with a chunk in photo. It's almost as easy to eat as chempedak. It even had sort of chempedak/durian smell. Not a typical jackfruit smell.
I'm planting 25 seeds of this fruit. We'll see what happens in  next in 3-4 years :)

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Sounds like a real winner !  Congrats 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk