Author Topic: U.S. 119...who is growing it?  (Read 16305 times)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. 119...who is growing it?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
@snek  Is yours a grafted plant or grown from seeds?

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
At least the flowers are different from mine. Mine are some kind of double flowered (like roses) not plain like yours.

snek

• EU-CZ, Brno, 49°N, 16°E, 250m, Klima-Zone 6b/7a
    • View Profile
    • http://www.citrusy.estranky.cz/
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
Hmmm .... really "in some kind of english" :-) :-) :-) :-)  The automatic translation is totally insane.

All are grafted plants.

I do not know. Perhaps full dormancy of plants without interruption. From the beginning of November until the middle of February, the garden is completely sunless. In this period, the sun's rays will not reach even a minute over the surrounding houses.

Occasionally, the flowers look like roses. The appearance of the USA119 is very irregular.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:51 PM »

Perhaps full dormancy of plants without interruption. From the beginning of November until the middle of February, the garden is completely sunless. In this period, the sun's rays will not reach even a minute over the surrounding houses.

I've been thinking about that, too. But I am in the completely wrong place for that.

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 11:00:29 AM »
Is it monoembryonic or polyembryonic?

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2022, 05:14:00 AM »
Hmmm .... really "in some kind of english" :-) :-) :-) :-)  The automatic translation is totally insane.

All are grafted plants.

I do not know. Perhaps full dormancy of plants without interruption. From the beginning of November until the middle of February, the garden is completely sunless. In this period, the sun's rays will not reach even a minute over the surrounding houses.

Occasionally, the flowers look like roses. The appearance of the USA119 is very irregular.

I am with you: wintersun is a killer. If there is no full sun protection you can forget all stories about hardyness. One of my yuzus was killed by morning sun. Lowest was -6 or -7°C!! The one in the shade is not damaged at all and Hanayuzu which was hit by evening sun has some cracks but will survive (hopefully)

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2022, 07:55:43 AM »
Good thing I live in a fog hole.. ;D

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2022, 04:38:56 PM »
I was given budwood of US119 in 2001, grafted it onto Poncirus rootstock, and planted it outside here in UK in 2004.
It has survived down to -15C, most winters the minimum is around -6c, but it has grown so slowly and never yet flowered.
I believe the real problem with growing citrus here is the short summer growing period.
We only have 3 months guaranteed frost-free and most varieties just don't have enough time to put on summer growth before they become dormant again.
My 119 is about 1.5m (4 - 5 ft) tall. Perhaps this year it will produce fruit - but I've been saying that for the past 15 years!

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2022, 03:15:55 PM »
Frustrating, citrange. But the Brittish are taff people, aren't they?

My climate is also problematic. Summer are probably a bit warmer though not always. The last days, we had around -10°C at night after most plants had already budded and some had already gotten leaves. This is not unusual for April. Real growth is only possible from end of April to end of August - a pretty short summer for citrus. September and October can be warm but usually not warm enough for citrus to grow.

My US199 is planted inground in my winter garden (better say green house with natural ground) and grafted on Carrizzo.  It grows very well there and is now over 2m high. But no flowers yet. It seems to be slow getting flowers. Many much smaller plants of other varieties have already given me a nice harvest. I also have Sucrena (Succory), an elder of US199. It also seems to be slow flowering, got only two flowers last year while the smaller Vainiglia Sanguigno had already given me 14 fruits from countless flowers. So your absence of fruits seems to have a genetic background, also.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2022, 05:41:40 PM »
Several times I asked myself if US119 could be a good variety for my zone 7 ? But in reading all your comments the decision is clear: No.
Good luck for all who are waiting patient for flowers and  fruits  :) and thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 03:21:29 PM »
Tedburn, I agree completely with you. I have mine only for breeding purposes. That's all. And it seems meanwhile that I do not need it any more because other varieties were so much faster getting flowers. Still, I wait another year.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2023, 11:38:05 AM »
For what it's worth, Madison Citrus Nursery has a dwarf available.
https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/products/dwarf-us-119-orange-tree-for-sale

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2023, 03:58:59 PM »
My US 119 died.  It was covered with a tarp but otherwise not protected. It was planted last summer so was just a couple feet tall.  Low was about 9 F, -13 C. Unknown what temperature the plant endured, it was surprising that the ground did not release sufficient heat for a relatively cold hardy plant to survive. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:03:52 PM by hardyvermont »

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2023, 04:04:27 PM »
How different experiences can be!

I have US119 for about ten years now, first potted than inground in a glashouse. No flowers yet. It is really slow to flower even when I admid that it did not always receive the best care. (For breeding, I also bought Sucrena, one elder of US119. I have now many flowers but all are pollen sterile. Also frustrating, especially because C. ichangensis flowers at the same time.)

Regarding the minimum temperatures I can only emphasize what Ilya wrote that the special growing conditions play a bigger role. I had a number of Swingle 5 Star seedling, most looking exactly the same as if they where nucellar. All died in my garden in their first winter. But we had only -12°C (10,4°F) in mid winter when they were still expected to be dormant. Yet, the original Swingle 5 Star from Ilya took -16°C (3,2°F) without much harm. Then Yuzu performed better than Poncirus in 2021. Poncirus lost a lot of twigs in late spring frost Yuzu lost only its leaves. Regarding US119 I would say. Take hardiness claims of others as your starting point but test them yourself. Good to read from you snack that you made better experiences than others with US119.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2023, 09:57:17 AM »
Get Rio red. It has the same cold hardiness and is the best grapefruit. It's like ruby red but slightly better tasting. I think less acidic and sweeter but similar to ruby. It grows in south Texas which is similar to the Florida panhandle in terms of cold. It's very close to an orange in sweetness and acidity but is a grapefruit and thus cold hardy.