Author Topic: California Pride Mango  (Read 6344 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
California Pride Mango
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
A couple of weeks ago at the Hansen Research Center, I saw that the staff had planted a couple new trees in the demonstration garden..

One was the patented Gem Avocado tree.

The other was a California Pride Mango tree.

Has anybody heard of "California Pride"?

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: California Pride Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »
look at the condition of California pride  ???
not so prideful   ;D :D

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:07 PM »
look at the condition of California pride  ???
not so prideful   ;D :D

Will have to wait and see how it does. It has been exposed to wind and heat.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »
I'd love to hear the background of this selection.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
Ricshaw,
Did you see a graft line on the tree?  I don't see one in the pic you provided, but then again, quite a bit of the stem is obstructed by leaves.  I definitely don't see a low graph line like you would typically see on a Florida-grown tree.  Curious if this is just a seedling.  I'm thinking only a Hansen employee will be able to answer your question....if you can find one...but they do have a phone number.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:56:35 AM by wslau »
Warren

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Ricshaw,
Did you see a graft line on the tree?  I don't see one in the pic you provided, but then again, quite a bit of the stem is obstructed by leaves.  I definitely don't see a low graph line like you would typically see on a Florida-grown tree.  Curious if this is just a seedling.  I'm thinking only a Hansen employee will be able to answer your question....if you can find one...but they do have a phone number.

I didn't look. I will the next time I visit the farm.

I did a Google search and I think California Pride might come from Mud Creek Ranch in Santa Paula, CA.

I know Jose Fernandez De Soto the Ag Research Outreach Coordinator at the farm. I will ask him the next time I see him about the Mango tree.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:09 PM »
It actually is looking very good. The new flush of the red stem is all new growth. Nice distance between the red and old green. Pretty good for May and a tree that young.
The background story of the name of the plant inferring it grows better in California than other varieties would be interesting.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »
I had emailed Brokaw Nursery about California Pride mango and they were kind enough to respond. It was cultivated in the 1960s in Camarillo California. It's roughly 10oz, high in fiber, and not very sweet :D. Most importantly, they do not ship to FL :D
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:28:07 AM »
I had emailed Brokaw Nursery about California Pride mango and they were kind enough to respond. It was cultivated in the 1960s in Camarillo California. It's roughly 10oz, high in fiber, and not very sweet :D. Most importantly, they do not ship to FL :D.

Funny that this Mango tree did not have a Brokaw Nursery tag, but the GEM avocado tree did.  ???

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:42:07 AM »
I realized that detail only after sending the email :D. The rep's answer felt truthful and forthcoming. Won't mind hearing another opinion on California Pride though.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
"High in fiber and not very sweet."  It doesn't sound like a winner.
John

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
I had emailed Brokaw Nursery about California Pride mango and they were kind enough to respond. It was cultivated in the 1960s in Camarillo California. It's roughly 10oz, high in fiber, and not very sweet :D. Most importantly, they do not ship to FL :D.

Thanks TnTrobbie!
I was curious on its parentage, but after Brokaw's response....I'd have to ask...why would anybody be interested in propagating another Tommy-like mango.  The only thing I could possibly think of is that the tree does well in a cooler coastal climate.
Warren

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
I'd have to ask...why would anybody be interested in propagating another Tommy-like mango. 

Especially a big wholesale avocado grower like Brokaw Nursery?

http://www.brokawnursery.com/

Stan

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »
A Mango for cooking or the green Mango and vinegar with salt as a snack crowd on a tree that takes cool summers? Winter bearing too? Must be a reason the Botanical Garden had to plant one.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 09:59:28 AM »
A Mango for cooking or the green Mango and vinegar with salt as a snack crowd on a tree that takes cool summers? Winter bearing too? Must be a reason the Botanical Garden had to plant one.

There are plenty of varieties that would fit that bill and also be good if fully ripened so that highlighting a mango that basically poor redeeming values is somewhat senseless.  We need more good ones to grow, not more garbage...
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »

There are plenty of varieties that would fit that bill and also be good if fully ripened so that highlighting a mango that basically poor redeeming values is somewhat senseless.  We need more good ones to grow, not more garbage...
Rob
Stan is from SF mangos don't do well in their climate. I agree with you I wouldn't waste my time planting out this variety

Stan

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »
Well,they also grow Blue Gums and Casuarina too according to their website.  Tree's the state spends millions of dollars to eradicate every year. Sol,it all says something-lol.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
Well,they also grow Blue Gums and Casuarina too according to their website.  Tree's the state spends millions of dollars to eradicate every year. Sol,it all says something-lol.

???

Eucalyptus trees may be invasive in some parts of California, BUT they are still a very popular landscaping tree in California.

The "state" uses Eucalyptus trees for landscaping along Highway 101 and citrus growers use rows of Eucalyptus trees as wind breakers which is probably why a nursery would grow them.

edit: See http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/Com_Ag/Subtropical/Avocado_Handbook/Resources/Sources_of_windbreak_trees_/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:50:44 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
Ricshaw,
Did you see a graft line on the tree? I don't see one in the pic you provided, but then again, quite a bit of the stem is obstructed by leaves.  I definitely don't see a low graph line like you would typically see on a Florida-grown tree.  Curious if this is just a seedling.  I'm thinking only a Hansen employee will be able to answer your question....if you can find one...but they do have a phone number.

I didn't look. I will the next time I visit the farm.

I did a Google search and I think California Pride might come from Mud Creek Ranch in Santa Paula, CA.

I know Jose Fernandez De Soto the Ag Research Outreach Coordinator at the farm. I will ask him the next time I see him about the Mango tree.

I took a picture today of what I think is the graft.

and I spoke to Jose, the Ag Research Coordinator, about the Mango tree.

I said I was curious about the Mango tree. Jose said the tree was an experiment to see how it would grow. He said Mango trees do not do well at the farm.
He said the leaves turn brown from frost. Jose said that they have to cover them in the winter at the farm.
See: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17470.msg248042#new

I told him I had taken out my back lawn and planted a couple of Mango trees last year that were about the same size. And I live 9 miles away and I did not have to cover mine. The temperature at my house only got down to the upper 30s. Jose said the temperature got down into the 20s at the farm.

He confirmed that the Mango tree was donated by Brokaw Nursery.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 10:47:54 AM »

???

Eucalyptus trees may be invasive in some parts of California, BUT they are still a very popular landscaping tree in California.

The "state" uses Eucalyptus trees for landscaping along Highway 101 and citrus growers use rows of Eucalyptus trees as wind breakers which is probably why a nursery would grow them.

edit: See http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/Com_Ag/Subtropical/Avocado_Handbook/Resources/Sources_of_windbreak_trees_/

Plenty of invasive non natives are grown out by nursery often sold to the gardener who does not know any better , doesn't make it ok to screw everyone around you over by planting a scotch broom or Pompous grass. Then the state can pay to eradicate it when they need. I would think the state of CA stopped planting Euc's anywhere some years ago, maybe just wishful thinking.
They also reseeded fire scarred forests with non native fire pines which is a literal tinder box tree.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
UPDATE: April 19, 2017

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk