Author Topic: Jocote (Spondias purpurea) - info?  (Read 2890 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Jocote (Spondias purpurea) - info?
« on: June 10, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
Was at a friend's house this evening and offered some jocote from his tree. He likes them green/unripe (he's apparently a distant cousin of Jeff/Sheehan), so what he offered was more tart/crunchy than sweet. Still, seemed like an interesting fruit.

Are there different varieties of this? Do others down here grow it? I see some sites calling it hog plum, but others assigning a different scientific name to hog plum. Confused.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:16:02 PM by savemejebus »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Jocote (Spondias purpurea) - info?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 11:11:59 PM »
I think that jocote is spondias purpurea, and hog plum is spondias mombin.  Jocote is highly commercial in Central America.  They are picked both slightly green and pretty ripe.  You can buy them depending on preference but mostly they are sold mixed.  Hog plum is not really commercial.  It has an astringency and here can be seen as a Popsicle ingredient but never sold fresh.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 12:01:53 AM »
Was at a friend's house this evening and offered some jocote from his tree. He likes them green/unripe (he's apparently a distant cousin of Jeff/Sheehan), so what he offered was more tart/crunchy than sweet. Still, seemed like an interesting fruit.

Are there different varieties of this? Do others down here grow it? I see some sites calling it hog plum, but others assigning a different scientific name to hog plum. Confused.

Yes there are varieties of jocote. Corona is one of the best known and prized. it's a very tasty and productive fruit. Main disadvantage is very poor seed to pulp ratio. More info at: https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/purple_mombin.html
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:02:07 AM »
I bought one from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spondias-mombin-jobo-live-tree-seedling-from-Puerto-Rico-/252391846024?hash=item3ac3b9f088:g:8ooAAOSwPhdVDCZM and he calls it Spondias mombin or Spondiapurpurea var. lutea, Im curios now which variety it is, Hog plum or purpurea.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
There are many different cultivars of jocote. In El Salvador, there are 2 classes -- winter and summer -- depending on when they bear and whether they are adapted to high- or low- lands. The have names such as azucaron, corona (my favorite), iguana, pitarillo, etc. Extremely popular in Central America, where they are eaten fresh or with in a green / sour state with salt.

My favorite of the ones that are commonly grown in FL is the large yellow one (not the ambarella), which have a large seed but a very delicious sweet flavor with a hint of acidity. Sheehan really liked this one too. I have no idea what the cultivar name is.

They are generally easy to grow, but they do consume a lot of yard space. They are perhaps the most violently growing tree that I have seen. Mine can easily put on 10 - 15 feet in a single summer. They also tend to be poorly rooted and will fall over in a good storm. So, it's a tree that you will want to grow on the south side of a canal -- away from the house and where it won't shade out other trees.
Jeff  :-)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
Jocote seed here will not usually germinate.  Typically it is grown from cuttings but grafted trees are available in some nurseries.  I guess that it is grafted onto jobo, hog plum.
Peter

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
i luv spondias purpurea fruits!

reminds me of strawberry and apple taste!

my small tree is holding about 15 fruits now...in a 5 gal pot about 3ft tall.

when i went to buy/ pick up the tree from Treesnmore, it was beautiful, with fruits all over it...but i accidentally set the pot behind my truck, and backed up onto the tree, rolling over the pot, partially crushing the rootball..i was amazed to see the tree was unfazed, and held almost all of the fruit afterwards.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »
I've seen jocote growing wild in some areas of Kona, where it is quite dry. They don't like high rainfall areas. They only do well on rainy side of this island (east side) along the shoreline, where there is not so much rainfall.
Oscar