Author Topic: Lisa vs Gefner  (Read 2885 times)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Lisa vs Gefner
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »
I want to plant a tree in my sandy soil yard in FL about half mile from the ocean. I went to Excalibur, and I told them I wanted a Gefner. They took me  around and we picked out a nice tree that had a fruit on it. I considered this a good sign. We went back to pay for it and I asked what kind it was and they said Lisa. The guy said that Lisa is better, and the lady that was there should know, because she has worked there for 20 years. She mumbled something about Gefners having more worms in the fruits and drove off. They said I could trade it for a Gefner if I wanted, but Lisa is better. I know from looking at the threads that there is quite a bit of opinion about this. All I want is a tree that is productive and tasty, with no fuss and can be maintained at about 15 ft in south Florida near the coast. Thanks for your input

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lisa vs Gefner
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
If you want no fuss, go with Gefner. It is a good fruit and sets decently without hand pollination, although I'd still recommend doing it anyway so you get more fruit set with larger fruit. To my taste Lisa is hands down the superior tasting fruit, but it doesn't set fruit well without hand pollination.

Personally I enjoy messing around with the hand pollinating because it means I get more and larger of my favorite fruit in the world, and it only takes a few minutes per day for a month or so.
Dom

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
Personally I prefer the taste of Lisa but I have read reports of Lisa being a poor bearer on certain rootstock. I believe they should have resolved the issue by now and if the Lisa tree is already holding a fruit, that is a good sign. I'm in California were Lisa produces really well and it tastes exceptional. I much prefer Cherimoyas to Atemoyas but Lisa is the only Atemoya I would rank highly up with the Cherimoyas. Lisa a a very slight undertone of berry acidity which makes it very interesting whereas Geffner tastes like your average Atemoya in my opinion.

Simon

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:51:19 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
Ok Thanks. I am not opposed to the idea of hand pollinating

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
Nice picture comparison thanks!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »

If you dont mind hand pollinating, go with the Lisa.  Its much sweeter with excellent flavor.  Its almost a little more sugar apple like only with far fewer seeds and better flavor.  Flesh is soft.  Gefner is firmer texture, sweet but not as sweet as Lisa.  Never known it to have worms (not sure what she meant by that or if that is what she really said).  Gefner will set more fruit on its own.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:22:09 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Here's a pic of a Lisa next to what I think were some Pink's mammoth.

2 Lisa:

2 Lisa next to  coffee cup for scale:

One of the bigger Gefner I got last year, a good bit smaller than either Lisa.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:17:31 PM by TheDom »
Dom

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
Wow great looking fruits!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile