Author Topic: advice on tip pruning young mango tree  (Read 2001 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
advice on tip pruning young mango tree
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
Hey can anyone give me advice on pruning my tree. It's about 5 1/2 feet tall fruit punch mango. I was wondering if I should start tip pruning the tree or just let it grow on its own. It's only been planted for about 2 months in the ground and it pushed it's first flush about a month ago.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: advice on tip pruning young mango tree
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »
It depends on your long term goal for the structure of this tree but my personal preference would be to start tip pruning your tree now in order to have a more bushy tree that will be more easily maintained in the future.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhF-YphevA

Simon

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
Ok thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
That stake should be up against the trunk,  not tied like it is.  You risk the trunk being snapped in a potential gusty wind/storm.

I see the ZHPP tag on it however those leaves look really rippled for a Fruit Punch.  Was it always like that, since you aquired it?
- Rob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
I had to stake it like that bc the growth was pushing more to on side so it was off balance and was worried about the top snapping off from wind....I purchased it from benders grove and i guess the leaves were like that but isn't it just the new growth that looks like ripply?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
I had to stake it like that bc the growth was pushing more to on side so it was off balance and was worried about the top snapping off from wind....I purchased it from benders grove and i guess the leaves were like that but isn't it just the new growth that looks like ripply?

I would try and locate a large bamboo stake (the 8 foot size...not only is it talley but its much thicker), and stake it close to the trunk.

Oh, and yes, go ahead and tip prune now.
- Rob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 09:18:38 PM »
Ok I wouldn't do any damage to roots by putting it so close to the trunk? And the leaves being rippled could it be a different variety or what?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
Ok I wouldn't do any damage to roots by putting it so close to the trunk? And the leaves being rippled could it be a different variety or what?

The stake should not cause any issues.  I will have to look agaon at the leaves on some younger Fruit Punch trees to be certain.  Dont worry about it for now...
- Rob