Author Topic: Colorfield Farms Mango Festival  (Read 10135 times)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Colorfield Farms Mango Festival
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
The Festival is July 27-29 in Wimauma, FL.
http://www.colorfieldfarms.com/index.html
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Colorfield Farms Mango Festival
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »
went last year and tried some amazing mangoes   

colorfield has some nice big old fruiting mango trees!! and an amazing selection of mango cultivars to purchase...

anyone planning on attending and seeing all of the mangoes??
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:17 AM »
Free admission if over 80? That's some stringent senior citizen rule! Guess in Florida you have to be stringent about such things or 1/2 the people would get in for free.  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »
Free admission if over 80? That's some stringent senior citizen rule! Guess in Florida you have to be stringent about such things or 1/2 the people would get in for free.  ;)
wonder how much the first aid costs those over 80 attendees after being out in the hot Florida sun...
- Rob

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
tampa mango festival
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:09:56 AM by Tim »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: tampa mango festival
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »
Neat. Maybe some of our Tampa area members can attend and give us a report back.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Thanks.  I may attend this.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks.  I may attend this.

You're still in FL?

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »
I went to Colorfield Farms this morning while it was still below 90 degrees. There were about 25 varieties of mango set out to sample. I was most impressed with NDM, Dot, Mallika and Zill. Least impressed with Ice Cream, Julie, Carrie and Lemon Meringue. There were many mango trees for sale in various sized pots. The smaller pot sizes all had Zill's tags on them and some of the 3 gallon plants looked like they should be in 7 gallon pots. Juliette and Lemon Zest were for sale and there are 50 varieties on their mango list - presumably for sale.

30 year old Julie in pot

Lancetilla in pot

Richard

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
Got in last night from the DR.  lv for Bermuda on Sunday.  In lake Mary right now.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Is 30 year old a typo?  I am working on transport to drive to Tampa.

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
Is 30 year old a typo?
No. That's what I was told and I heard it repeated later by another worker. The tree is about 3 ' tall and perhaps 5' wide. I didn't look closely at the container but it was probably 15-20 gallons.
Richard

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
I've got trans.  Will be there first thing in the morning.

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »
Just in case, bring something to eat and drink. I left at 10:45 and only one food vendor had arrived by then.
Richard

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
hehe it's way cheaper than the fairchild mango festival :-).
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »

Fairchild festival is for the landed gentry :) and those who aspire to be. Colorfield mango festival is for jibaros, peasants and techno-peasants with land. If both festivals were 25 miles from me I would head to ColorField with their larger trees for sale. BTW they must be a large grower/wholesaler because I have seen their plants in Home Depot

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
techno vikings gonna b there!

Fairchild festival is for the landed gentry :) and those who aspire to be. Colorfield mango festival is for jibaros, peasants and techno-peasants with land. If both festivals were 25 miles from me I would head to ColorField with their larger trees for sale. BTW they must be a large grower/wholesaler because I have seen their plants in Home Depot
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
Just in case, bring something to eat and drink. I left at 10:45 and only one food vendor had arrived by then.

Noted!  Thanks!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »
Vikings didn't waste time farming, they were too busy raiding farms and fishing villages and stealing their women in order to impregnate and make more Viking warriors and raiders

techno vikings gonna b there!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »

You're probably right. Still all Floridians should be proud of Fairchild mango festival. It is one of a kind on the whole planet! It is an international event. I think Fairchilds gardens would benefit more to bill it as an international event, have international speakers, and make it more well known and more widely attended. That means more crowding, but maybe a larger venue also.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »
Just got back!  Bought a fuyu persimmon to keep here in Florida.  Mango fruit: Cac, Neelam, nam doc Mai, Madame Francis, carabao, zill, smith a Cac cross and Carrie.  Less than a day to eat (actually I am sharing them with others who will be here for weeks).

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »
I have eaten 3 Cacs, the zill, smith and Carrie.  Cac is very impressive.  Even the seed and very little fibre.  Silky smooth to eat, rich but not too rich, sweet but not too sweet.  The people I shared this with we're wowed by the texture.  This makes the top 3 between all I tasted from Fairchild/color field.  I found myself making sounds (umph!  Ummmm) while eating it.

Just ate the Zill which I thought might be underripe but was fine.  A very tidy tasty little mango.

Carrie also impressed with balanced rich/sweet taste and silky smooth flesh.  Could eat these all day.

Smith was an orange fleshed larger mango.  Ok taste in isolation but pales compared to the above.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
I have eaten 3 Cacs, the zill, smith and Carrie.  Cac is very impressive.  Even the seed and very little fibre.  Silky smooth to eat, rich but not too rich, sweet but not too sweet.  The people I shared this with we're wowed by the texture.  This makes the top 3 between all I tasted from Fairchild/color field.  I found myself making sounds (umph!  Ummmm) while eating it.

Just ate the Zill which I thought might be underripe but was fine.  A very tidy tasty little mango.

Carrie also impressed with balanced rich/sweet taste and silky smooth flesh.  Could eat these all day.

Smith was an orange fleshed larger mango.  Ok taste in isolation but pales compared to the above.
Would love to see what they are calling a "Cac".  If this is the Vietnamese mango, the proper name is "Coc" (Colorfiled must have been working closely with Fairchild...maybe they didn't want people to have to say that they have eaten or are eating Coc??).  There is a prior post on the forum that explains the mis-naming of it.  I have also had this mango multiple times this year, including yesterday.  It is an excellent flavored mango that in each time I have had it have found it to have no fiber and be very sweet.

"I found myself making sounds (umph!  Ummmm) while eating it." -- From that description, I'd say you were eating a Coc mango.   ;) ;D ;D  :o :o  :P :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:24:36 PM by murahilin »
- Rob

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Here's a report from the fest that my dad just emailed me. Sounds like he had a great time!

Quote:

When I entered there was a "Gourmet Mango Tasting" area, with Tupperware bowls containing cut-up pieces of labeled mangos, which was waaay cool, to be able to taste different varieties side-by-side.  Then, out that door was an area with hundreds of mangos for sale in bins, $3 per lb.  There were too many varieties to recall.

I was walking through a line of trees for sale, just looking at the different varieties and prices.  I came around a corner of plants, saw some mangoes on a tree, and laughed out loud, to the amusement of a couple near me.  I was looking at absolutely huge mangoes, each the size of a football, called Santillas (he means lancetillas), hanging low, bush-like on a tree about six feet tall and ten feet around that had the center trimmed out of it.  I showed the guy near me what I was looking at and he cracked up too.  I got the skinny on 'em from Anne, and now one resides outside our kitchen window.  $45 well spent. 

The rest of the acreage was stuffed with all sorts of other green stuff, with green houses off in the distance and orchid houses, etc.  She had food booths, music, smoothies...the works.  It was around 115 degrees and wet, so I got thoroughly soaked and got into it. Fun!  I suspect it'll take a couple of years to put out those huge mangoes, but when it does it'll be a hoot. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
I did see this and other notations.  One indicated that "cat" should be the actual name which translates as sand.  Either way, great mango.  I would send you a picture but the last time I did...you didn't post it here?  :( what is up with that? 

Would love to see what they are calling a "Cac".  If this is the Vietnamese mango, the proper name is "Coc" (Colorfiled must have been working closely with Fairchild...maybe they didn't want people to have to say that they have eaten or are eating Coc??).  There is a prior post on the forum that explains the mis-naming of it.  I have also had this mango multiple times this year, including yesterday.  It is an excellent flavored mango that in each time I have had it have found it to have no fiber and be very sweet.

"I found myself making sounds (umph!  Ummmm) while eating it." -- From that description, I'd say you were eating a Coc mango.   ;) ;D ;D  :o :o  :P :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:25:10 PM by murahilin »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk