Author Topic: Innarched and grafted Jaboticaba trees  (Read 10716 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Innarched and grafted Jaboticaba trees
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
Watching Adam's(FlyingFoxFruits.com) Jaboticaba grafting videos got me itching to do some grafting of my own. Because Jaboticabas can take a while before they fruit, I feel it is worth the time to try innarching two trees together to create a double rootstock Jaboticaba tree.

I took these two young seedling Sabara trees and innarched them together on 06/16/16. the wood is very hard and it was relatively difficult to make straight cuts! It's been two months since approach grafting and I noticed that the parafilm was split so I decided to take a peak at how the callous/Union was doing. Here is a picture of the cracked parafilm.

Here is one side of the parafilm slightly peeled back

The other side peeled back

After seeing that the union has healed up nicely, I decided it was safe to top the weaker seedling.

Here is an ungrafted Sabara I've had for about 5 years, the trunk is about 1.5 inches in diameter and has not fruited yet.

Simon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Innarched and grafted Jaboticaba trees
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
nice work Simon!

i've found out that you don't even need to cut the cambium...just bind them together, or twist them, and the cambium will fuse!

i have a Red jabo tree that i twisted up, and wherever the cambium meets, it will fuse.

I've been meaning to braid up a Grimal, Red and white to see what happens.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
Simon
It takes a month or more to heal? I take the green tape off after three weeks I better go back and check them out

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »
Nice work Simon, good heal time will be interesting to see what effects this has on growth and fruiting!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »
Nice work Simon and thanks for the pics.

I've been planting mango and avocado seeds underneath my young trees hoping to try out these techniques.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Congratulations on what looks like another success grafting of yours!

I have plans to do some innarching also (on other fruit trees: mango, cherimoyas, avocados), but generally speaking, I am still unsure what is a proper and good method to do innarched a relatively young and small branch seedling to a larger more mature tree trunk?
Hope you don't mind sharing your experience, thanks a lot, Simon!
Sam

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
That is a great idea Simon, thanks for sharing!
- Mark

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
nice work Simon!

i've found out that you don't even need to cut the cambium...just bind them together, or twist them, and the cambium will fuse!

i have a Red jabo tree that i twisted up, and wherever the cambium meets, it will fuse.

I've been meaning to braid up a Grimal, Red and white to see what happens.

That is so cool!
- Mark

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
Nice work Simon. I can definitely see the benefits of multiple roostocked trees. I have two jabos that were grafted around the same time last year but one of the jabo had two additional rootstocks added serially a month or two after the scion started to push. Both plants are in the same 5 gallon airpot with the same water tray below the airpot to keep their roots wet all year long. However, the difference in growth is phenomenal.  From my observations, adding multiple rootstocks will definitely shorten fruiting time and provide better anchorage to hold the plant in place in the event of a tropical storm. Especially for those who live in areas where blown over jaboticabas are common.

I can post pictures when I get home from work.

I would personally secure your two rootstocks back together with tie tape to prevent the callous from pushing the rootstocks apart. I had jabo grafts that failed in the past when I took the tie tape off too soon.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:42:41 PM by echinopora »

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Here is the multiple roostocked phithandra jaboticaba. Both grafted around the same time.

Here is a multiple roostocked inga vulpina multi-rootstocked with inga edulis. Notice the trunk caliper is double the size of the original vulpina rootstock below the graft union.

Here is another multiple rootstock candidate with lots of seedlings planted at the base. Maybe this will fix alternate bearing habit for some longans?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I've learned a lot from this forum and everything I know about Jaboticaba and grafting Jaboticabas is from Adam. I just love the flavor of Jaboticabas. To me, they have the sugar acid balance of Purple Mangosteen. Because of the slow growth of Jaboticabas, I really think multiple rootstocks will help.

Adam, thanks for the tip, that will save a lot of time by simply weaving them. Imagine weaving together several of our favorite varieties of Jaboticabas and then letting them fuse. Once they are fused, you take a scion from this braided Chimera and graft it onto whatever rootstock. I would imagine that the grafted scion would produce fruit from all different varieties. Adam, this may be a simple way for you to mass produce multigraft trees.

I forgot to mention that it was Xshen's success with his multiple rootstock Jaboticaba that also inspired me to do this. Time is too precious a resource to waste, sitting around, waiting for that Jaboticaba to finally produce. I was going to multigraft with multiple species of Jabs that are tolerant of high pH soils but I got lazy and felt Sabara grows so well anyways.

Frank, it may have healed sooner but I only noticed the the cracked parafilm yesterday. In general, i wait 2-3 months for my approach grafts to heal when working with hard or brown wood. My mango seedling approach grafts heal in as little as 2-3 weeks. In the copper leaf stage(newly sprouted seedling), they can be as fast as two weeks. For seedlings in the the green leaf stage 2-4 weeks is more common.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
Congratulations on what looks like another success grafting of yours!

I have plans to do some innarching also (on other fruit trees: mango, cherimoyas, avocados), but generally speaking, I am still unsure what is a proper and good method to do innarched a relatively young and small branch seedling to a larger more mature tree trunk?
Hope you don't mind sharing your experience, thanks a lot, Simon!

Sam, my friend in Chula Vista has a double rootstock Cherimoya that grow crazy fast. The more vigorous a tree, the faster the tree will heal with the exception that newly sprouted seedling seem to heal extremely fast.

My theory is that newly sprouted seedlings are still using energy stored from the seed and at the cellular level, the cells have not fully differentiated and callous forms easily on these less mature tissue. This is the whole concept behind my DSGed mango seedlings. I've been paying close attention and I've noticed that any physical injury inflicted on young seedlings is rapidly repaired. 

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
Rob, that's awesome, please keep us updated on the progress of these beautiful and delicious trees. You can see from Xshen's pictures that the double rootstock tree appears to be double the size of the single rootstock tree.

Xshen, that amazing! Proof is in the picture that double rootstocks will give added vigor to Jaboticaba trees. I am very eager to see if you get more, perhaps larger, maybe sweeter fruit? Will you get one additional crop compared to single rootstock? Will it try to fruit year round? Please keep us updated Xshen, I hope your double rootstock tree fruits sooner for you than the single rootstock tree. It seems the more I share with this forum, the more I learn.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »
Here is the second part of the thread. These are various Jaboticabas grafted onto Sabara rootstock. These trees were grafted by Adam and not by me. Im hoping that by having them grafted onto Sabara rootstock, it will enable me to grow them without regular soil drenches of chelated micronutrients. So far, these trees have grown at a very fast rate. I got them as prehealed trees around December/January so all the growth you see is new.
Cauliflora(Paulista)

Coronata(Restinga)

Grimal

Simon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
LOVING THE JABUTICABA GRAFT PICS (simon, xshen echinopera)!  2 COOL FOR SCHOOL!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:51:00 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
Pretty interesting stuff. I was inspired so I took a few scarlet jabs, probably the three worst looking ones I have and decided to experiment.  One inarched with sabara seedling, and two with multiple sabara seedlings braided together with the scarlet. I will be sure to post pictures when I have something to report.

Keep up the good work!
John

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
HI Simon, like this post, what do you think would be the best rootstocks for our south. ca. soils????        Patrick
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:16:45 AM by pschill444@aol.com »

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »
any feedback anyone on what would be the better rootstock for our south ca. soils, im looking for seeds and thinking sabara &  grimel.   Patrick
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:16:10 AM by pschill444@aol.com »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »
I think you are right and Sabara and Grimal are the best rootstocks for high pH areas. The Red or hybrid grows well here but it sends off lots of root suckers. Personally, I really like how the Sabara rootstock performs so far.

Simon

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
thanks Simon, im looking for seeds of those 2 now i did not know that about the reds.      Patrick

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »
I just noticed that my Grafted Grimal jaboticaba on Sahara rootstock, grafted by Adam, has what appears to be flower buds on it. This tree was grafted in 2015 onto approximately pencil thick Sabara rootstock. How long does it normally take for Grimal to flower? How thick of a diameter is the trunk when Grimal normally flowers if it's not grafted?

Simon

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
so i am guessing this has been done before with other species ?

What happens to the fruit ?
is it a mix of both varieties ?

What if you plant the seed ?
Do you get a cross of both varieties,
 a crapshoot of genes, or does it arbitrarily pick one or ??

i have 2 mango seedlings i buried a couple of years ago
one larger than the other. i dont have room for both, and they are about a foot apart.
i am thinking i might as well add the roots from the 2nd, instead of simply cutting it down.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:43:19 PM by echinopora »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
The fruit will be identical to the grafted scion variety in most cases but the rootstock can have influences on the scion. Genetically, there can be lateral gene transfer so the scion and rootstock may have added genetics.

Looks like grafting can speed up fruition of certain varieties as Adam suggested. The grafted plants I got from Adam have been growing great without signs of nutritional deficiencies. This precocityis the icing on the cake.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk