Author Topic: Info about borojo trees . . .  (Read 1605 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Info about borojo trees . . .
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:27:08 PM »

I have heard a lot of good things about borojo fruits lately...at least from the nutrition standpoint. But, there isn't much I can find about growing the trees. Some say they are fast growing trees. The trees I've seen are smallish and are growing in a fair amount of sun, but I'm told they are understory trees. One source said they can be self pollinating while others say that you need a male tree and a female tree. I've got four seedlings to plant, and I was wondering what the chances are of having a male in the bunch.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Info about borojo trees . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:37 PM »
Hi, there have been threads about Borojo here before.  You will need male and female, four seedlings might work.  They are slow growing plants that could be planted in partial shade about 5m apart.
Peter

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
Hi, there have been threads about Borojo here before.  You will need male and female, four seedlings might work.  They are slow growing plants that could be planted in partial shade about 5m apart.
Peter

but... no chance in zone 9a... even with a greenhouse?

I think it would be almost impossible to grow them here as in their natural zone the average temps are 28º C or so

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »
I have 2 seedlings - 1 male and 1 female.
The male plant flowered last year. The female flowered 6 months later when there were no male flowers. But, the plant set 2 fruits!
Both the plants are in partial shade. Maximum temperature is 38C and minimum is 21C.