Author Topic: Sacha Ichi-- how do you prepare the nuts for eating?  (Read 1475 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Sacha Ichi-- how do you prepare the nuts for eating?
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »

I have three Sacha Ichi vines with loads of seed pods ready to harvest. There's lots of info on what to do with the nuts AFTER they're cooked, but I can't find any info on how to more easily extract the seeds or how to cook them. The beautiful seed pods are very difficult to open. There has to be a secret! I tried to eat a nut raw and was spitting for an hour afterwards. Very astringent. Any ideas?

By the way, the vines are very beautiful and carefree to grow. Mine are only eight month from seed and are already VERY prolific.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Sacha Ichi-- how do you prepare the nuts for eating?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
I split the pods into sections then open each one with a nut cracker. If you place the pod vertically in the cracker rather than flat you can split all three shell layers and the nut will get pushed out the opening without being crushed. I've only tried pan roasting the nuts to eat because mostly I grow them for oil, but it works fine, with or without a little oil in the pan. I know you can oven roast them too, probably 400 degrees would be about right.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
Re: Sacha Ichi-- how do you prepare the nuts for eating?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
Hello
  You have to wait the entire maturity of the fruit, then put the seeds...
  not opened, in a horn 30 minutes at 150°C it's quite OK. In Peru they say it's better to open before (I didn't try that way)

Gouralata

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk