Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Fertilizer for container trees  (Read 1254 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer for container trees
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
    Mark

I'm just concerned that by fertilizing, it will cause the trees to drop their flowers and go into a vegetative growth state . That's all that I'm asking, is this something that I need to be concerned about ?

William

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
    Mark

I'm just concerned that by fertilizing, it will cause the trees to drop their flowers and go into a vegetative growth state . That's all that I'm asking, is this something that I need to be concerned about ?

William

I understand.  No it shouldn't cause it to go into vegetative state.  I generally use a slow release food, just applied a 12 mo. 18-4-9 pills called Polyon which is always feeding my trees.  Last year's grafted Sweet Tart is holding 50 fruitlets.  Here's one flowering spike taken this morning. Same with the others.  They're setting fruit.  Something never mentioned, make sure your food has Boron.  I supply additional boron in the form of Solubor, albeit very trace.

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
  I do use the osmocote that you showed in your picture. I'll have to look and see if it has boron. I do also spray a foliar trace minerals cocktail at least once a month so I'm sure that the boron will be covered.

William

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 02:07:17 AM »
Off topic - but Mark what type of lime is that?

-K

Polyon 12 mo. slow release with the secondarys like Ca and Mg AND micros.  Good mix of nitrate to ammonical N too.   Used it on thousands of newly planted field and potted/in the ground tropical greenhouse fruit trees.  Makes 'em grow like weeds.  Similiar to Osmocote but unlike Os it releases its nutrients with higher temps, not just moisture. You Florida guys probably have a Harrell distributor near you.

Hi Mark - Isn't this blend a little light on K?  Some of the tropical fruit tree nurseries around here use Harrells products.

Maybe.  Learn to read your plants.  I'm a nitrogen freak and have the fruit production to prove it.  For instance, leaf tissue analysis of citrus reflects they prefer and accumulate a 5-1-3 NPK.  Mango is said to hate high N and prefer high K foods.  Glad my mangos can't read.  ;)

Check out the pH of my key lime juice.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
Off topic - but Mark what type of lime is that?

-K

Label states dolomite, a lime which also contains Mg.

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Today at 11:10:49 AM »
    Mark

William

I understand.  No it shouldn't cause it to go into vegetative state.  I generally use a slow release food, just applied a 12 mo. 18-4-9 pills called Polyon which is always feeding my trees.  Last year's grafted Sweet Tart is holding 50 fruitlets.  Here's one flowering spike taken this morning. Same with the others.  They're setting fruit.  Something never mentioned, make sure your food has Boron.  I supply additional boron in the form of Solubor, albeit very trace.

mark, is that a photo of mango or lychee blooms?

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers