Author Topic: Jackfruit Tasting (South Florida) - suggestions?  (Read 5174 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Jackfruit Tasting (South Florida) - suggestions?
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
A number of fruit nurseries/organizations have new varieties of jackfruit (Excalibur, Fairchild, Pine Island, and Lara Farms).  I am preparing an objective taste test and would appreciate feedback to help ensure an objective tasting.  This is the initial planning stage, so many things may change.  I intend to invite each of the RFC's in the region (including central FL) to send two tasters; if you are interested in participating as a taster, please contact your local RFC.  We would need volunteers to clean the jackfruit as well and they would get to taste the jackfruit as well.  I am looking for comments on evaluation criteria, improving the methodology, etc.  We plan on photographing the trees with the fruit.  Photographing and weighing the fruit.  The tasting would be setup, so each organization participating would get some value from participating in the event. 

Blind Tasting

Place pieces of cut jackfruit on numbered plates on a long table.  The number should be stapled to the plate to prevent mix-ups.  Each taster will eat soda cracker and drink water to cleanse the palate between each tasting.  The tasters will be divided into three groups, with one group starting on the front to the table, another group starting at the middle of the table and the last group starting at the end of the table.  The jackfruit would be tasted fresh and frozen.  The frozen tasting would be at the end of the jackfruit season with all of the varieties.  The tasters would do their taste test and after recording their ratings, then the growers/propagators would do their own taste test under similar conditions. 

Tasters

Each RFC and participating organization can provide up to 2 tasters (# could be increased depending on interest).  The tasters must like jackfruit to be eligible.  To ensure objectivity, the tasters cannot have any affiliation with a nursery that propagates Jackfruit.  Involving various organizations will help to ensure impartiality and credibility.

Growers / Propagators tasting

An identical, second set of plates would be created for the jackfruit growers/propagators conduct a blind taste test as well.  This would allow jackfruit growers/propagators to evaluate their competition.  The idea is to create value for the growers/propagators.

Tasting Events

Jackfruit is a relatively long season, so there will be two or three tastings during the season.  A portion of each jackfruit will be frozen and tasted at the end of jackfruit season.

Possible Evaluation Criteria

Taste
Texture
Taste after being frozen
Amount of latex - ease of cleaning
Tree Productivity
Color - would be noted, but not affect ratings.
Seed count

Again, this is in the planning stage, so a lot can change based on developments.  Thoughts? 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit Tasting (South Florida) - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
I think this is a great idea!  Too bad I live so far away, otherwise I would like to assist and participate. From descriptions of other tastings, it seems you have a good method outlined here for Jackfruit tasting as well. It think the idea of photographing the fruit/trees and weighing the fruit is also good because these variables are important.  Some of these criteria are difficult to assess unless you grew the fruit yourself or were the one cleaning the fruit, so photographs would be invaluable.

Since I am a beginner regarding jackfruit growing, I used a resource to evaluate some of the more common varieties available in Florida.  I am sure you are already familiar with the Growables website at http://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/jackfruitvarieties.htm, also the USDA link that is on that page is useful for descriptions of some features about the trees and fruit.

The Growables resource and table of information have a few categories that you may want to consider adding to the judging criteria.  They list flat spines at ripening (yes/no), percent edible flesh, flesh easily removed (maybe this would be part of the ease of cleaning category), flesh thin walled/thick walled, and rag edible.

These are just a few items I thought you may want to consider, and hope you find them useful.  I hope you keep us all updated on your progress and results from taste tests.  Florida is decades ahead of California regarding Jackfruit growing, but I hope with sharing knowledge and expertise that we could get enough growers here to emulate what you are doing and have some jackfruit tastings here too.  I wish you great success in your endeavor!

Bob
Bob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
As an update, we are working on making this tasting a reality.  We are planning on holding it at the Fruit & Spice Park with tastings in June, July, and August.  We will also freeze the jackfruit and have an tasting of the frozen jackfruit at the end of the season.  In addition to the new varieties, we are planning on including other popular jackfruit, such as Borneo Red, Black Gold, etc.  But it will be a blind taste testing, so they will not be labeled.

Nurseries and hobbyist are encouraged to enter their seedling jackfruit.  If you would like to enter a jackfruit, please contact Louise King at the Fruit & Spice Park.

If you would like to participate as a taster, please contact your local Florida RFC.  Because there will be a limited amount of fruit, we are planning on limiting the tasting to three tasters per RFC, but nothing is written in stone.  Volunteers who help with the event, will also be allowed to try the jackfruit.  If you would like to participate as a taster, please contact your local Florida RFC.  We are contacting the following RFC's for participation:

Brevard Tropical Fruit Club
www.brevardrarefruitcouncil.org/

Caloosa Rare Fruit Exchange
http://rare-tropical-fruit.com/

Central Florida Fruit Society
www.centralfloridafruitsociety.org

Collier Fruit Growers
www.collierfruit.org/

Manatee Rare Fruit Council
http://www.mrfc.org

Miami Rare Fruit Council
tropicalfruitnews.org/

Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council
www.pbrarefruitcouncil.org/

The Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council of Broward County
www.rfvcbroward.org/

Suncoast Tropical Fruit and Vegetable Club
www.growables.org/clubs/suncoast.html

Tampa Bay Chapter Rare Fruit Council International
rarefruit.org/

Tropical Fruit and Vegetable Society of the Redland
www.fruitandspicepark.org

Treasure Coast Rare Fruit Council
treasurecoastrarefruitclub.com/

The Tropical Fruit Society of Sarasota
tropicalfruitsociety.org/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:05:36 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
I am a member of the Sarasota Tropical Fruit Society, Manatee Rare Fruit Council, and Suncoast Tropical Fruit and Vegetable club. I may have a seedling fruit to add to the mix but I can't count my chickens before they hatch. I am very interested in participating.
-Josh

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
Hi MR.Clean, I always wonder why nobody ever invites the professional tasters i.e. local chefs, NOT FRY COOKS maybe chef school  staff, they may have a different taste test than a grower.           Patrick

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Appearance and color could affect a person's taste evaluation.

If you really want to do such a formal tasting...  you could do a separate Blind Tasting with blindfolds on.  :D

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
Hi MR.Clean, I always wonder why nobody ever invites the professional tasters i.e. local chefs, NOT FRY COOKS maybe chef school  staff, they may have a different taste test than a grower.           Patrick

We are trying to make it large enough to be representative, but small enough to ensure all judges can sample each fruit.  Jackfruit is an acquired taste; either you like it or you don't.  The target audience of the competition are people who consume jackfruit fresh as a fruit. 
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
I am a member of the Sarasota Tropical Fruit Society, Manatee Rare Fruit Council, and Suncoast Tropical Fruit and Vegetable club. I may have a seedling fruit to add to the mix but I can't count my chickens before they hatch. I am very interested in participating.

Please contact Louise.
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
Appearance and color could affect a person's taste evaluation.

If you really want to do such a formal tasting...  you could do a separate Blind Tasting with blindfolds on.  :D

Maybe that's how they do it in California.   ;) 
www.FLMangos.com

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:48:27 AM »
Mr.Clean
I'm new to jack I've got 3 growing now 2 trees are about 3 years old now Mi1 and Excalibur red and a seedling NS1, I beleave..I love the fruit and want to grow more..what is your favorite and why?
Www.sailing-charters.org

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
Mr.Clean
I'm new to jack I've got 3 growing now 2 trees are about 3 years old now Mi1 and Excalibur red and a seedling NS1, I beleave..I love the fruit and want to grow more..what is your favorite and why?

Borneo Red - for great flavor
Bangkok Lemon for good flavor, great productivity and low latex.
www.FLMangos.com

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
I dont have any bearing trees yet but I'm very much interested in attending!

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
That's an awesome idea! Great for the jackfruit connoisseur. :D   
Anisha

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
I would add "aftertaste" (i.e. sulfur content) as a criteria. Some jacks have an excellent up front with a less-than-wonderful follow through.

Aroma might be a consideration as well. I've come across several that were worth their price just for the smell alone, even if they didn't taste that good.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
Did this event ever happen Mark?
Here is my Excalibur Red only 3 years old and had 16 fruit come ripe, starting in May and the last one was picked about 3 weeks ago

Www.sailing-charters.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk