Author Topic: trip to costa rica recommendations  (Read 1947 times)

happysue

• matawan nj
    • View Profile
trip to costa rica recommendations
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:37:02 AM »
Will be traveling to CR around march 1 to march 15 with my 86 year old mother for 2 weeks. 
I am a fruitarian, so would like to stay near a source of fruit .
it would be great to be near a farmer's market, but if they are only 1 day a week, I need a source for the other days, preferably not from the supermarket, but hopefully directly from the farmer.

1.what part of the country do you recommend we stay at?
2. what sites to see involving sampling fruit?
because of my mom's age, we will not be doing a lot of driving, or  strenuous activities or places without air conditioning.
 I want to focus on maybe 1 or 2 areas and be near the beach.
i have spent the last month researching this, and i am more confused than ever on planning this trip.
thank you in advance

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
Re: trip to costa rica recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:15:25 AM »
I don't think you'll find much ac besides supermarkets. And your itinerary right right...

Farmers Market: Known locally as the feria, the San Isidro farmers market is the biggest farmers market in the Southern Zone with over 200 vendors selling every kind of fruit and vegetable you can imagine. There are also booths with crafts, and dead animals. The market is held all day Thursdays and until about mid-day Fridays every week. It’s under a gigantic roof so happens rain or shine.

And drive or bus to Bahia to swim.
http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/21e45ecf-2d13-4749-8d41-28daf3f8fa3c/21ff1c3e-c7bb-4ac9-8cca-947cfbd43a04.JPG

Or do whatever. Go to puerto viejo or zill fruit nursery etc.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:34:40 AM »

I'm not concerned about you, Mr. Fruitarian. You'll do OK anywhere in CR. But, what about your dear 86-year-old mom. What does she want to do and eat? Kudos to her! She must be a very special lady! I'm 13 years younger than her and I don't ever want to get on an airplane. LOL. Anyway, you can find small fruit/veggie stores (verdurias) everywhere in the country. But here's my suggestion . . . If you want to be near beaches, lots of nature, have many choices of unusual and eclectic restaurants and places to stay, I don't think you can beat the rather funky small town of Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side right on the ocean. It's a very busy and interesting place with lots of very interesting residents and tourists from the EU and the States as well as Ticos. Surrounded by LOTS of nature. Finca la Isla (on tropicalfruitforum) is nearby...growing damn near every tropical fruit you can think of. My favorite place to visit here is the great national seashore park located a short drive away in Cahuita. Monkey heaven! I think you and your mom would find it very enjoyable with little effort. Buen vieje!

happysue

• matawan nj
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
thank you both for your suggestions. since the farmers markets are just on the weekends, would we only shop on the weekends rather than a few times a week?
i think my mom is thinking she will just mostly relax on the beach, so i am going to make it a very slow paced trip without alot of driving or lots of touring activities.
for her eating , we may try to stay in a place with a kitchen or microwave or visit restaurants.
is the beach in puerto viejo, calm for swimming? that is another thing i must think about for her.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:50:34 AM by happysue »

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:06:33 AM »
thank you both for your suggestions. since the farmers markets are just on the weekends, would we only shop on the weekends rather than a few times a week?
i think my mom is thinking she will just mostly relax on the beach, so i am going to make it a very slow paced trip without alot of driving or lots of touring activities.
for her eating , we may try to stay in a place with a kitchen or microwave or visit restaurants.
is the beach in puerto viejo, calm for swimming? that is another thing i must think about for her.

While the ferrias are always interesting and fun to shop at, you can always find fruits and everything else to eat all week long nearly anywhere in CR...especially in the small shops that specialize in veggies and fruits. You wouldn't have any problem in Puerto Viejo. Also the beaches are wonderful and safe for swimming there. The ocean is calmer on the Caribbean side of CR than on the Pacific side. Having said all that, CR is a wonderful place to visit anywhere you go.

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
How safe is it to travel around?

Is there a reliable public transport system or is it better to rent a car and use maps/GPS?

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
How safe is it to travel around?

Is there a reliable public transport system or is it better to rent a car and use maps/GPS?quote]

I live here and have a car, but I mostly use the bus system, which is very modern and efficient and cheap. If I were visiting here and just going to one popular easy-to-get-to spot for the duration of the trip, I'd definitely use the buses. Traveling off the main roads would be another matter, of course. Four wheel drive vehicles are common and recommended. But, driving a car here can be risky!