Author Topic: No Mango Blooms...  (Read 9048 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
No Mango Blooms...
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »

It's almost the middle of January and I still have no blooms on 5 out of 6 mango trees I have. I only have 1 mango tree blooming. As many of you living in Central to South Florida its been a very warm winter with the few occasional days of "colder" weather. My Lychee has blooms but its a "mixed" new growths with blooms mixed together. I'm hoping its just late and will start blooming next month. It will actually be a good thing if it waits to bloom later less likely it will get nipped from a late freeze...

How's everyone else's Florida mango blooms coming along...anyone on the same boat as me? 

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: No Mango Blooms...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
Most of my trees have full or at least some Blooms. Im guessing that the rest will come out in a few weeks after this cold snap we just had. It supposedly got to the upper 40's in Merritt island. I have a new 25gl fruit punch in the ground as of two weeks ago. How bad do you thing it would be if I let it hang a few fruit it's first year in the ground? I would think it's at least 5 yrs old in the pot for how big it is.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
Same deal here, but we should be seeing heavy bloom starting in the next week or two. This latest Bloom Fairy flyover was awesome. Here in Tamarack, we even had a few hours of high 40's temps for a couple of nights. I think temps in the 50's are sufficient to get the mangoes rolling, some only need temps in the 60's. But the reaction takes a couple of weeks.
Jeff  :-)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
I'll start a thread for that.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »

I hit 37° Sunday morning and 41° monday...we've had upper 40's to low 50's since, I'm hoping it will get them going...

Thanks all!

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
No blooms here either despite a few nights in the 40s and then 30s. Expecting within the next week or so though.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
At my old house the trees are blooming, probably because I did not prune them knowing I was going to move

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
The following started showing blooms after the first mild cold front but they are all smaller trees.  Hopefully more in next few wks.

Rosigold
Pickering
Sweet Tart
Angie
Iman Pasad
Ice cream
Palmer

I have noticed mature trees around town with "scattered" blooms for some reason.
- Marley

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:56:34 PM »
Most of my trees have full or at least some Blooms. Im guessing that the rest will come out in a few weeks after this cold snap we just had. It supposedly got to the upper 40's in Merritt island. I have a new 25gl fruit punch in the ground as of two weeks ago. How bad do you thing it would be if I let it hang a few fruit it's first year in the ground? I would think it's at least 5 yrs old in the pot for how big it is.

Definitely do not let it hold any fruit. You will do damage to the tree.  Probably 2.5 - 3 years old max.
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
My Providence is loaded with blooms but way too small since it was planted June 2015 as a three gallon..  In fact most of the trees that age are blooming, but not sure if if was the big pruning after last years harvest but none of my bearing tree are blooming yet.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
At my old house the trees are blooming, probably because I did not prune them knowing I was going to move

Does heavy pruning reduce flowering? I thought I was the opposite

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Usually yes. The key to good flowering is getting the tree to "calm down" and lie dormant for a couple of months. Pruning induces a heavy growth response.

Does heavy pruning reduce flowering? I thought I was the opposite

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
I think the 2nd wave of bloom is right around the corner. I have bloom movement on: Carrie, Sunrise, and Sweet Tart.

Coconut Cream is flushing vegetatively, but CC has an odd habit of blooming on tender, red-stage vegetative growth, so bloom is not out of the picture for him.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
Does anyone else count days from bloom to harvest? A good friend claims you can mark your calendar for 90 days from bloom to harvest (as opposed to other varying maturity fruits, like Avos). I have yet to try this method.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Does anyone else count days from bloom to harvest? A good friend claims you can mark your calendar for 90 days from bloom to harvest (as opposed to other varying maturity fruits, like Avos). I have yet to try this method.

Generally, 90 days sounds shot for mangos...
always longing for a JA Julie

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
Not for mangoes. Mango fruit growth rate depends on ambient temperature and cultivar.

Counter-examples:
 - Keitt and Carrie bloom at roughly the same time, but keitt harvest is always months after carrie harvest.
 - Carrie will often bloom twice, once in Nov and again in Jan. The Nov and Jan harvest are only a couple of weeks apart (because the Nov fruits grew slowly in the beginning, with ambient temps low).

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
My Providence is loaded with blooms but way too small since it was planted June 2015 as a three gallon..  In fact most of the trees that age are blooming, but not sure if if was the big pruning after last years harvest but none of my bearing tree are blooming yet.

My Providence was planted August 2015 and has shot up from less than 2 feet to 8 feet.  I know what Rob will say: DO NOT LET IT HOLD ANY FRUIT THIS YEAR!  So far only Pickering has had any blossoms and not more than 20% of the tree.  It's been VERY warm here in North Broward near the ocean so far this winter.
John

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
No blooms on any of my trees as of yet.... 13 mango trees on 3 different lots in north west broward!
Joe

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
I looked at a friends tree a few weeks ago and it looked like fire works going off on the thing with so many blooms. The variety is unknown but clearly grafted and over 10 years in the ground with beautiful shape and structure. It looked clean and free of fungus and pests.  I looked at it again the other day and all the panicles where dead with no fruit set at all which has be reportedly the case for many years. It seemed to be blooming early, is there a chance that it will re-bloom after this last cold snap? Or would it be possible to induce blooms somehow? (potassium nitrate maybe?) 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »
No blooms on any of my trees as of yet.... 13 mango trees on 3 different lots in north west broward!
Good to know I'm not the only one.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
Between me and my parents yard, over 30 mango tress
The only thing that has flowered is:
3 gal Rosa (planted in 2016)
20% of mature seedling tree - 20ftx20ft
3 panicles on a Chocanon, 1 panicle of Rosigold (multgrafted to it) - 15ftx15ft

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »
Check out the fruit set on my Edgar :-). This thing goes to town when it fruits.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
The bloom temps are finally starting to line up. Here's the forecast for zip 33321. Look at all the nights in the high 50's to low 60's.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »

Very nice fruit set on your Edgar mango Jeff!

Still NO blooms on 5 out of 6 of my mango trees...one Cogshall and Mauritius lychee are the only ones in bloom...I hope the rest kicks into gear in a couple of weeks...its been very warm for January! I just hope we don't get a killing freeze in the next several weeks **sigh**  :'(

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Check out the fruit set on my Edgar :-). This thing goes to town when it fruits.

Dang, Looking fruitful!
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk