Author Topic: Is this Biriba?  (Read 2996 times)

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
Is this Biriba?
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »

Please help me id this great tasting fruit. The taste had a hint of acidity but very sweet. Unfortunately i do not have a pic of the tree but it does look atemoya.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Biriba?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:15:51 AM »
Yes, there are some variations within this species in the look of the fruit.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:00 AM »
Do you sell the seed . I would buy some
Mike

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
Thanks Soren. I only came to know about biriba through google.

Mike im trying to germinate the seeds because the taste of the fruit is really amazing.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
So Cool Erwin, I have 5 plants, 2 or 3 years old, and hope to have fruits soon! I love chirimoya and atemoya
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »
Wow you're close to harvesting ur own fruit soon then Huertas. I was not a fan of atemoya before due to difficulty in pollination but when i tasted it all the hard works will be worth it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Everyone's tastes vary however for me, when I  first tasted sugar apple and loved it.  Then I tasted different atemoyas and really like them and thought sugar apples are just average and no big deal, even the raved about Big Red from Noel's tree.  Then I  had a number of ilamas and said this is top tier and better than both atemoya and sugar apples.   Now that I have been eating top quality and top tier Cherimoyas from California, other than ilamas which I still believe are equally as good as many top Cherimoyas,  sugar apples and most atemoyas are average. 

Oh, and to me, all Rollinia I have had (I have not had any from Puerto Rico, Hawaii or anywhere else other than what has been grown in Florida) have been subpar.  I have never had one that was more than a little sweet and taste was nothing that wanted to make me eat the whole fruit.

That being said, the fruit in the original post does not look like the Rollinia I have tasted so maybe its totally different.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:28:24 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »
Biriba

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »
Bsbullie, thanks for your input. I also wanted to try planting cherimoya but it's difficult to find seedlings here in the PH. Also, from what i've read online is that Cherimoya needs a cold climate to thrive.  I didnt knw about ilama i'll look it up maybe i can grow them here.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
Biriba is right above a.reticulata as the worse anona except for Hunucma amarilla here is the mother tree in hunucma Yucatán

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
Biriba is right above a.reticulata as the worse anona except for Hunucma amarilla here is the mother tree in hunucma Yucatán

Well, I suppose this proves that taste, as well as beauty, is in the mind of the beholder. My durian-loving friend proves the adage as well. I have four biriba trees here in my farm, and I cherish every single fruit I can get my mouth on. To me they are simply wonderful....the epitome of sweet tropical flavor and uniqueness. Super easy to grow and very productive trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk