Author Topic: Cogshall infested & not flowering & black mold. Please help!  (Read 2265 times)

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Cogshall infested & not flowering & black mold. Please help!
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »

Also what potting soil is best for containers?
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Cogshall infested & not flowering & black mold. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
And would it be best to keep my mango trees in fabric pots or plastic containers??
Sergio

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
I had good luck with the neem or citrus oil to control the sooty mold. Just follow the directions but I spray it at night to avoid sunburn on the trees and because it can kill the bees who don't come out at night. As for the best potting soil I'm still working on that myself. if you plan on growing in containers permanently then do a search for AL's Grity mix, if just up potting to give yourself some time I was recommended FAFARD commercial grade by a reputable forum member.  However I want to try and create my own if I can.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
One more thing you might want to consider and I'm speaking from my own experience as well as recommendations from pseudo experts and experts.

Do not let your young trees bear fruit, It will hurt them.  I let my 7gl trees fruit the first year in the ground and none of the fruit made it anyway. They already had pea size mangos on them when I bought them. I then let them fruit the next season and got to try some however my trees did not grow to the size I think they should have and would have been much more able to produce this season. I might just pinch off all the fruit this year on them and go buy some from one of the local farms or better yet take a road trip to SQUAM256 and buy everything I ever dreamed of.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
The first photograph you have is also showing a scale (brown scale) infestation.  As Mangomongo pointed out, you could use neem oil to treat the mildew and it is also effective on scale.  You just have to make sure you apply it to the bottom of the leaves as well.
Bob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
or since its a small tree a rag and soapy solution and scale and soot problem fixed in one quick shot..and you'll have a soot free green leafed tree again in a few minutes.
always longing for a JA Julie

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
or since its a small tree a rag and soapy solution and scale and soot problem fixed in one quick shot..and you'll have a soot free green leafed tree again in a few minutes.

I Second Jani, I did the same with a much bigger tree , Took care of the problem ..

Ed
Zone 10

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
Thank You Everyone!! Mangomongo, Guayaba, Jani & edzone9!! Especially for organic suggestions! I will definitely try Jani & edzone9 suggestion first as it's also a free option lol. (& some of the soot was already peeling off). Next option will be neem oil as mangomongo & Guayaba suggested. Might need it for my LemonMeringue also.

Mangomongo I know how you feel about making your own mix too! I've read up on not letting mango fruit the 1st Year for a better tree & harvest the following time & I have a Rosa mango flowering for the first time & I'm waiting until there's pea sized fruit before I cut them. Also good luck with your mango trees this season too! I can't wait to see Squam256's orchard in person as he is local & not to mention how I found his farm recently before joining here (& has with the one of the largest varieties of cultivars too). His instagram has my mango addiction on overdrive impatiently waiting for mango season haha
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:17:08 PM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio