Author Topic: Looking for irrigation advice- new orchard SW FL  (Read 13333 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for irrigation advice- new orchard SW FL
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
This is the valve we just installed for our 5hp pump.  Very curious to see how it performs for domestic and irrigation purposes.

Nice setup, but why the 5 HP pump?  How many feet/miles of irrigation pipe are you going to run?

Just a note, I too use the PVC ball valves which need replacement from time to time.  If you have any sand, no matter how fine, that plastic ball will eventually show grooves.  Brass/S/S valves are way better.   I know, they're expensive as hell but in the long run they save on labor and time.

I love Grundfos submersible pumps.  Like I said my 1 HP kicks butt and is really overkill.   For the house and other structures (greenhouse, store, etc.) I have the Grundfos Constant Water system.   With the touch of a button you  can change the PSI from 40 to 110 on the console, turn it off, has internal diagnostics, dry well control, etc.  It's a DC pump connected to 110V AC such that the voltage supply is used to talk back and forth to the control console and computer in the pump housing.  A pressure transducer in line measures the pressure and tells a computer in the pump how much RPM's to turn.  So, if you're brushing your teeth (low demand) the pump spins slowly.  If the transducer senses that 4 two inch lines are open and you need full output it spins at 12,000 RPM.  Mine has been active going on 13 years.

Also, jerry rigging a 4' long PVC tube skirt by clamping it to the bottom of the pump will insure very little debris intake as the pump kicks in, hits the side of the well with its torque, etc.

I love the 4' long straw idea for the well pump.  Brilliant.  You should patent and sell it.  You will be a millionaire.

I'm still learning about wells, drilling, irrigation, pressure etc. so I apologize for my ignorance but I'm having trouble visualizing the 4' long skirt idea.  Any pics?

We figured the 5hp would provide adequate volume gpm for the orchard setup.  Approx 6500' of 1" poly and close to 2000' of 2" pvc.

Mark - I really like they idea of the digital pressure control and capabilities you have.
- Marley

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »

I love the 4' long straw idea for the well pump.  Brilliant.  You should patent and sell it.  You will be a millionaire.

I'm still learning about wells, drilling, irrigation, pressure etc. so I apologize for my ignorance but I'm having trouble visualizing the 4' long skirt idea.  Any pics?

We figured the 5hp would provide adequate volume gpm for the orchard setup.  Approx 6500' of 1" poly and close to 2000' of 2" pvc.

Mark - I really like they idea of the digital pressure control and capabilities you have.

I've used those flow inducer sleeves as a ship's engineer when running 40-75 HP submersible pumps at sea in warm open water. Usually the idea is to induce flow alongside the motor(which is below the pump) for motor cooling purposes. Since the pump suction is above the motor, it is possible to have low flow along the motor and get overheating which lessens motor life. Here is the explanation and a drawing:
https://franklinaid.com/2008/11/26/calculating-minimum-cooling-flows/

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »

Sorry, it's 120' in the well now.  :D  My Grundfos pump is 3" in diameter.  I think me and my well guy clamped a 4" diameter by about 4' long piece of PVC pipe about 6" above the pump's intake.  Believe we cut 6" long or so slits in one end so it would bend down and seal around the pump housing.  (Was 12 years ago, brain farts ya know)  The idea is that when the pump starts up it will torque and hit the side of the well sloughing off crap so by extending the intake 4' down with the extension you reduce the sand, limestone bits, whatever..... from being sucked up into the pump.

One of the benefits of the Grundfos is a 2 second slow start so you don't have the vicious startup hammer like you do with other brands.   Best thing since ice cream.
http://us.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sqe.html

Here's how to save a bunch of money.  Call Grundfos up to size the pump.   Buy your 301 system from ebay!   Have a well man with a truck mounted derrick change out and drop the pump in. Cost me about $120 to pull the old pump, unscrew the old pipe casing, screw new to the new pump as he dropped it into the well and then set the well head cap.  I used 20' PVC "sticks", 1 1/2" diameter, threads on both ends for couplers.

12 years ago I went with a regular Grundfos pump without the Constant Water 301 console for the irrigation system, used only a relay start up switch and Hunter controller and really did an "AW SHIT" afterwards.  Tried to save money.  The ability to be able to change PSI from 40 - 100 with the touch of a finger is sweet with the Constant Water system, plus once you set it you get the same pressure no matter if you're running a mile of line or 30'.  Note - you won't need to T off with a 2.5 gal. hot water pressure tank since your irrigation system can be considered "not closed" unlike your house which is and needs the T tank pressure relief as PSI changes.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:35:17 PM by Mark in Texas »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
Mark, thanks for the info on this constant pressure pump, it is really sweet. I'm planning a house and had no idea these were available for home size systems and have just read the literature. I've been using two of these pumps on the ship for the past five years for house potable water supply for up to 100 people. They aren't exactly DC pumps, but are a Variable Frequency AC type drive motor, the control system does convert AC to DC, but then reconverts to a pulsing DC simulating a variable AC frequency to control the speed from 3000-10,700 rpm. Here is an option for the sleeve in horizontal use for a water tank. The rubber adapter piece is available at plumbing supply houses. With the 3 second soft start this pump should have almost no kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw42G9BINKs

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
Mark, thanks for the info on this constant pressure pump, it is really sweet. I'm planning a house and had no idea these were available for home size systems and have just read the literature. I've been using two of these pumps on the ship for the past five years for house potable water supply for up to 100 people. They aren't exactly DC pumps, but are a Variable Frequency AC type drive motor, the control system does convert AC to DC, but then reconverts to a pulsing DC simulating a variable AC frequency to control the speed from 3000-10,700 rpm. Here is an option for the sleeve in horizontal use for a water tank. The rubber adapter piece is available at plumbing supply houses. With the 3 second soft start this pump should have almost no kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw42G9BINKs

Yep, that's it. Great video!

Told you I went overboard on the size of the pump so I asked a tech what he would recommend for the house come time to replace it.  The  15-SQE-07-180.   Have heard from local installers that these pumps will go 20 years.  With every new system Grundfos comes out with there are improvements.

Good luck!