Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940002 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2100 on: July 19, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
We got tired of rotted posts so now we encase perforated galvanized square steel tubing with concrete. The tubing is the same one being used for street signs.

Where can you buy the perforated galvanized square steel tubing used for street signs?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 19, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
Where can you buy the perforated galvanized square steel tubing used for street signs?

Search for "perforated square tubing". Industrial store should have it.

I'm about to make another support tree with cheaper circular fence post. Only need a few holes drilled.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 19, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »

I'm about to make another support tree with cheaper circular fence post. Only need a few holes drilled.

Yes, the chain link fence posts are very reasonable and available at big box stores.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 19, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »

What will you do with the round tubing?  Pour concrete or use as is?  You might try using 3 or 4 rebars and bend them at the ends and let that hang out and concrete the lowere end.  I thought out making some but figured its a lot of effort and they will require more than myself to install.
Brad Spaugh

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »
Just make sure however you make your posts, that its securely anchored to either the world, or a wall. Plants get top heavy fast and you don't want them falling over.
And since we're starting to show off pictures of our collections, here's the first harvest from my plants. Its a mix of S8 Sugar Dragons (smaller ones) and my experimental crossbreed.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:36:43 PM by RobPatterson »

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58:45 PM »
What will you do with the round tubing?  Pour concrete or use as is?  You might try using 3 or 4 rebars and bend them at the ends and let that hang out and concrete the lowere end.  I thought out making some but figured its a lot of effort and they will require more than myself to install.

I put one end in a pot then encase that end in concrete. I box the tubing with wood for the DF to cling onto. I add the top, with wood. I dig a hole then put the whole thing in, including the pot.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 20, 2017, 12:58:13 AM »
Just make sure however you make your posts, that its securely anchored to either the world, or a wall. Plants get top heavy fast and you don't want them falling over.
And since we're starting to show off pictures of our collections, here's the first harvest from my plants. Its a mix of S8 Sugar Dragons (smaller ones) and my experimental crossbreed.

Nice harvest, can you give a flavor description of your experimental crossbreed? Would you happen to have a Brix reading on your cross?

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 20, 2017, 01:40:52 AM »

I put one end in a pot then encase that end in concrete. I box the tubing with wood for the DF to cling onto. I add the top, with wood. I dig a hole then put the whole thing in, including the pot.

Sounds like it should hold up wrll. I am interested in photos if you have any.  I have lots of metal posts and recycled concrete and portland cement here.  And about 8 rooted cuttings I need to do something with.
Brad Spaugh

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 21, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
Couple of dragon fruit harvested from the yard this afternoon.
Clockwise, top center is Dark Star, American Beauty, Mega Red (from Pine Island about 2 years ago), Dark Star, Dark Star.
Also got 6 large white ones (had about 60 white blooms on three trellises open over the last three nights).

Same Dark Star (1lb 9.6oz)

Same Dark Star

DM
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:52:43 AM by Dangermouse01 »

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 21, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »
My first harvest of an unknown purple variety. Can anyone id? Thanks.

-Allan

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 23, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
Pics from the yard today

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 25, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
I apologize if this is a silly question that has been answered many times...but what are the wide green ties that people are using the secure the stems of their dragon fruit cactus to their support system? and where can I possibly find them? I've looked around and haven't seen them yet

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
I apologize if this is a silly question that has been answered many times...but what are the wide green ties that people are using the secure the stems of their dragon fruit cactus to their support system? and where can I possibly find them? I've looked around and haven't seen them yet

It is nursery tape. I found it just .99 cents at .99 cents store.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 25, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »

It is nursery tape. I found it just .99 cents at .99 cents store.
My 99 cents store stopped selling it this year. Had to go to an ag supply store and pay 1.50. Home Depot sells it in the garden section for a little more.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: July 25, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Stretch-Plant-Garden-Green/dp/B00DG75DS8

cheaper at Lowe's  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-0-5-in-x-1-800-in-Tree-Tie/3012986
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:59:24 PM by ricshaw »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 25, 2017, 09:38:27 PM »
Here's a picture of my double Grafted Dragonfruit, it's got a total of 3 varieties on it

Simon

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 25, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »
S8, Megalanthus and American Beauty?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 26, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »
S8, Megalanthus and American Beauty?
You got it 100% RobPatterson!
I was also joking about the double Grafted Dragonfruit with three varieties as everyone probably figured out. I've had a pretty bad season this year with only about 1/2 the fruit I got last year. My vines have not been pruned in a while. The S8 is the only variety that is consistently a high producer but the fruit is very small but tasty.

As with last year, the Yellow Dragon is holding fruit and flowering at the same time.

Simon

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
thanks a bunch dragon, fyliu, and ricshaw...I'll ask around at my local nurseries and home depot and if not I'll order it online

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »
Frank, awesome plants. Are some of those from the cuttings I gave you several years ago?

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 27, 2017, 12:58:44 AM »
Frank, awesome plants. Are some of those from the cuttings I gave you several years ago?

Simon

Hi Simon
this is a friend of mines orchard. he turned me on to top tier dragon fruits....the ones you gave me are growing but no fruits yets

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:27:42 AM by JF »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 29, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
Best flavored varieties available in South Florida and where to get cuttings or plants????

Monkeyfingers

• USA, Jacksonville, FL, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 29, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Ok so a little over a week ago I had about 12 gorgeous flowers open up on a couple of my dragonfruits. But then the fruits all turned yellow and dropped off! I had hand pollinated them with a brush so I thought they had a good shot of setting fruit. I have a couple varieties that did this: physical graffiti and american beauty. They set fruit really well a couple of months back, so I was excited to get a second crop this summer. Not sure why this time everything yellowed and dropped.The only thing I could think is the next day after the bloom, we had a gully washer, so maybe it got too wet and dropped all the fruit? Anything else that you guys think might be wrong?

Here is a pic of one of the yellowed fruits -