Author Topic: The Death & Rebirth Of The Duncan Grapefruit  (Read 1834 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: The Death & Rebirth Of The Duncan Grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
Great story, Millet. I remember watching my grandfather eating half a grapefruit for breakfast every morning when I was a child growing up in Bradenton , FL, just south of Tampa. The grapefruit grandpa ate was white and as a child, I thought it was bitter and didn't like it. Grandpa was born there in Palmetto, and I bet the grapefruit he ate was Duncan. There was a lot of old citrus trees around there in all my families' back yards. It's distressing to think of those old tree's dying from greening disease.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
The best grapefruit i have ever tasted was growing wild in the canaveral national seashore.  It was white amd seeded and most lilely duncan.  I have been searchimg for duncan trees but all they are selling is the ruby red here in AL.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
Great article. Thank you !!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »
I planted a grapefruit in the ground in 2014.  I could not find a Duncan, so I planted the next best thing (in my opinion) a white Marsh grapefruit.  I remember Dr. Malcolm Manners once wrote that the best grapefruit he ever ate was a Marsh that he picked off a 25 year old tree.  I also at times purchase red grapefruit from the market, and they are OK but don't have the old time grapefruit taste,.   

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
Great article!  I recently grafted Duncan to sour orange rootstock.  I know grapefruit generally need more heat than I have here in northern CA however I always enjoy experimenting and pushing the limits.  It will be interesting to see how well the Duncan does here on a vigorous rootstock when left to hang on the tree for a very long time.  I have heard grapefruit can hang on the tree for 2+ years.

-Brett

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
Grapefruit are sweeter when grown in sticky humid locations with high heat, because high humid climates have little change in day/night temperatures.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:12 AM »
Hmmmm.... I guess I'll have to give the 40 year old Duncan tree growing inmy mother's back yard a little more respect. Still won't be gorging on the fruit, though. it's not to my taste.

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »
Thanks for this article, really nice to hear about the young farmer taking a grapefruit and squeezing it on his grandfather's grave, that's real dedication and respect to his roots.   We used to eat white grapefruit growing up, everyone put sugar on it, and I didn't like the sugar part. Farmers are telling me that people here in So Cal are asking for white grapefruit at Farmers Markets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk