Author Topic: Jak fruit? Brevard Rare Fruit Tree Sale  (Read 11486 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: Jak fruit? Brevard Rare Fruit Tree Sale
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
Wow, 26 variety. That is awesome. Thus, I'm listening to your advice!   Thanks. 

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
I really hope the Jackfruit tasting happens this summer.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22040.msg269249#msg269249

-Josh

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:42 AM »
The variety PIN is bringing to Brevard Rare Fruit sale (today/Saturday).

Cantaloupe, Orange Crush, Cheena, Golden Nugget, J31, Mai1, Small

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
I planted around 12 varieties aver the last 2 to 3 years.  This includes a Fairchild first which has several small female fruits emerging last month for the first time. I also planted the sweet Fairchild.

A seedling sold as an ns1 j31 cross by a sale from the MRFC is loaded with fruit.

I have the orange crush variety planted and it's growing like jacks beanstalk with only a few male fruit.  I yanked the tangerine as it looked like Charlie browns Christmas tree.

I gave away my Amber due to its lack of growth.

Growing well but still too small to fruit are Excalibur red, red morning, Bangkok lemon, j30, j31, black gold, and golden nugget.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »
Vid from last night.  Erick describing "orange crush" and "Cantaloupe"
https://youtu.be/nSWG4Y1Mpu0

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:17 AM »
Vid from last night.  Erick describing "orange crush" and "Cantaloupe"
https://youtu.be/nSWG4Y1Mpu0

That was my point about the texture.  The cantaloupe is not a true "firm" fleshed jackfruit.

Based on his explanation, I am very curious if grafted versions of these varieties have been observed and fruited before release or are they grafting off of and going solely based on the seedlings.

His statement on health issues I also question.  I believe, as with many fruits, rootstock plays a role in growth/vigor/health as does make up of soil and location being grown.  Proper care can usually prevent or fix most nutritional matters.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
Thanks for uploading the video!

I can say that the Orange crush I have in my yard is more vigorous than the other three they released(Tangerine, Cantaloupe, and RS-22). I am not sure I would agree with the claims that these trees are better than others in handling minor element deficiencies.  My soil is bad and I have not had the time to help them along as I did with my earlier planted jaks and it shows. 

Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Thanks for uploading the video!

I can say that the Orange crush I have in my yard is more vigorous than the other three they released(Tangerine, Cantaloupe, and RS-22). I am not sure I would agree with the claims that these trees are better than others in handling minor element deficiencies.  My soil is bad and I have not had the time to help them along as I did with my earlier planted jaks and it shows.

Exactly,  see my email above.

As with their viewer, Erik and PIN are trying to sell plants.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
PIN has been selling plants for Brevard Rare Fruit for a long time. Before Erick, it was Bob and Vivian Murray (for decades).   They are very reputable. 90 percent of my trees are from PIN. Also, my neighbor has 3 acres of tropical fruit trees from PIN.  If you are trying to bad mouth PIN, you are failing.  As, they aren't "trying" to sell plants.  They ARE selling plants. Usually 4 semi-trucks full at the Brevard sale.    I've talked to Erick many times. He is honest guy in my opinion and very knowledgeable. He has an opinion just like anyone else.  But, with anything people opinions differ along with agendas.  You say you don't recommend Glen. I'm like eh...again, my Glen has provide me with hundreds of fruit every year and they taste really good.  Thus, bsbullie opinion just went down a few notches for me.  But, thanks for the adding to the discussion.  Opposing views either strengthen or weaken one's opinion.   They are all valuable. 

I'm going with the "Orange Crush" and "Cheena" with JS31 if they are sold out. I got a good friend unloading trucks as we speak who will get me the trees.

Thanks all for the Jak Fruit discussion.  Hopefully in a few years I can add my opinion on if "orange crush" or "cheena" are any good.  (hello future me from 2017)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
PIN has been selling plants for Brevard Rare Fruit for a long time. Before Erick, it was Bob and Vivian Murray (for decades).   They are very reputable. 90 percent of my trees are from PIN. Also, my neighbor has 3 acres of tropical fruit trees from PIN.  If you are trying to bad mouth PIN, you are failing.  As, they aren't "trying" to sell plants.  They ARE selling plants. Usually 4 semi-trucks full at the Brevard sale.    I've talked to Erick many times. He is honest guy in my opinion and very knowledgeable. He has an opinion just like anyone else.  But, with anything people opinions differ along with agendas.  You say you don't recommend Glen. I'm like eh...again, my Glen has provide me with hundreds of fruit every year and they taste really good.  Thus, bsbullie opinion just went down a few notches for me.  But, thanks for the adding to the discussion.  Opposing views either strengthen or weaken one's opinion.   They are all valuable. 

I'm going with the "Orange Crush" and "Cheena" with JS31 if they are sold out. I got a good friend unloading trucks as we speak who will get me the trees.

Thanks all for the Jak Fruit discussion.  Hopefully in a few years I can add my opinion on if "orange crush" or "cheena" are any good.  (hello future me from 2017)

They arent trying to sell plants?  As a large commercial nursery, if they arent trying to make sales, then what are they doing? 

Their viewers, for all fruits, are severely flawed.  Those viewers are nothing more than a marketing tool...thats called sales.  Its nothing personal, just stating facts...

- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
Whatever they're doing, they're good at sales.

Everytime I go there, they're out of numerous varieties.  I'm looking at them, but red tape everywhere.  All of it is sold--whole rows.

Just sold and standing there teasing me.  The horror!

I have gotten a lot of trees from PIN over the years.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
blackgold,gold nugget, cheena had 20 years ago only good for cooking. Scale 1 to 10 give I give 1.5 for being alive

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
blackgold,gold nugget, cheena had 20 years ago only good for cooking. Scale 1 to 10 give I give 1.5 for being alive

Bahahhahahahhahahaha. I know to pull Black Gold out of my collection now. Thanks!  ;D
-Josh

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »
There is nothing wrong with any of these varieties in my book. I think gold nugget and cheena are excellent flavored jaks and I am happy to see my blackgold has fruit this year. Shot obviously does not like soft fleshed jaks.  Taste before you buy!

Bahahhahahahhahahaha. I know to pull Black Gold out of my collection now. Thanks!  ;D
Brandon

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
It's not that I don't like softer jaks but those old types just to bland and it's not just me but my clientele would not buy and that's consensus

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
Two semi's and a box truck to be exact as I helped unload them.  Around 3,000 plants.

Open to public today.

I got a Pitomba, one of six.

The Pitagatuba's  are a great buy.  They are calling them star cherry's.  Big plants that are two years old.  Originally from Adam.

Got an asian pear as well as red custard apple.

Mango list was the usual.   Lemon Zest was  a good addition  but only about a dozen in three gallon.  If you want a Glen they have plenty.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:45:56 AM by WGphil »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
Hope everyone has a good time up in Brevard! A great place for fruit and surf.

You all have me wondering; how many varieties of jackfruit can you grow/graft on one tree? I have a nice little sapling from seed, a sweet and crisp variety that came from the farmers market, and although I would be happy with that fruit, might want to add some diversity.

As for PIN, was there earlier today. Picked up a beautiful ceylon cinnamon tree (5 ft) and made tea from it a little while ago. Delicious! Probably have 20 plants from them in my yard or at relative's homes. They (PIN staff) are always very nice to me, have healthy plants, and have stuff I cannot find elsewhere without shipping. Their website could use some updating. If their website matched the actual nursery, they would be jamming even harder.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
"I got a Pitomba, one of six.
The Pitagatuba's"

I got those two as well!   The pitangatuba looks very ornamental. 

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
I found a beautiful pitomba.. in WalMart.  So, that's where mine came from.  lol

Flowers and never fruits, so probably needs pollination assitance.

Got a handful of pitangatubas from Adam this year.  Lovely little treelings.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »
Wish I had bought another one or two more.

The apricot looked interesting

Only six pitombas and we know where two are.  Good luck on the new additions Dave

All of mine in the ground already

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Wish I had bought another one or two more.

The apricot looked interesting

Only six pitombas and we know where two are.  Good luck on the new additions Dave

All of mine in the ground already

I got my pitomba at last year's sale.  ;)
This year I got 2 pitangatuba's, a large coffee plant (flowering w/fruit), a june plum and a Ice Cream Bean for my sister.

DM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk