Author Topic: Plants from root cuttings  (Read 1252 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Plants from root cuttings
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
My Meyer lemon was in a pot and grew roots into the soil.  When I moved the pot to a new area, the root that stayed in the ground came up as a new plant.  The new plant is now about 12" tall.  Just noticed it is probably Meyer lemon as well, since the original plant doesn't look grafted.

My question is - how long does a plant from root cutting take to mature?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Plants from root cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
Great question.  I'm not sure as this is a first for me.  I'm wondering if root production is the same as scion production. Budwood taken from mature scions can fruit in a year or two, they just need to develop some height.  Therefore, I'm wondering about the growth habit from mature roots. My guess is that they don't act the same.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Very interesting. I have crabapple trees that put up leafy shoots from roots, called water sprouts I believe, and these new treelings don't bloom like the other new branches on the flowering crab trees. Similarly, I've dug new sprouts from roots of rowan trees that have since grown into 10 ft-tall trees before they bloomed. I bet citrus trees grown from root cuttings revert back to low node count like seedlings.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
Anybody know how Meyer lemon does as a rootstock?