Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: HELP - it's go time!!  (Read 173 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
HELP - it's go time!!
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
My bud wood has finally arrived!!!!! Wooo-hooo!!

I am going to bud to the rootstock where my kumquat used to be grafted. I hope bark still slips on such old rootstock. I'm supposed to bend the original growth to encourage bud to grow but there's very little growth. Should I just proceed as normal and worry about that in 21 days?

Finally, how long can I keep budwood? Should I store in fridge? Right now it's wrapped in a wet paper towel.

Thank u!!!

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: HELP - it's go time!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
Budwood will keep in the refrig for several months. I would test the rootstock for bark slipping. If so
I'd do a bark graft. If not I'd wait a month and try again. You could do a cleft graft but I don't
recommend cleft based on my experience.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
Mr Texas, i just watched the video on how to bark graft. EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! I was really concerned with how thick the rootstock is and this seems as if it is exactly what i need! Really appreciate it!! Should i do one bark graft and a back up t-bud or chip bud?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:28:22 PM by robbyhernz »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Mr Texas, i just watched the video on how to bark graft. EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! I was really concerned with how thick the rootstock is and this seems as if it is exactly what i need! Really appreciate it!! Should i do one bark graft and a back up t-bud or chip bud?

Stump is too big for t bud or chip bud. Be sure you test for bark slipping before you make a clean cut on the stump.
If not bark slipping, wait another month. On that stump I'd make a clean cut just above the sprouts and would make just one slit in the stump and
chisel end the scion with no more than 3 buds. Wrap the scion in parafilm and wrap the scion to the
stump with vinyl tape. Parafilm is not strong enough to wrap the scion tightly to the stump.
I always cover the stump with parafilm as well. Lastly cover stump with aluminum foil
to keep sun off.

I had to redo this bark graft this year. Last year I grafted too high and the scion and part of
the stump froze. Rootstock is sour orange.
Here is one I did a few weeks ago.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:40:01 PM by mrtexas »

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
Mr. TEXAS, wish I'd read your post prior to grafting! This was amateur hour at best!! I slit rootstock and opened up both sides but it didn't go smooth! I struggled with one side and cut a little off the middle so slit sides weren't touching. Prepped the bud and made sure everything was completely sanitized, even my hands, with rubbing alcohol.. what do I do, I drop it in the dirt!! I put it in and had really good contact in back and one of the sides; one other side wasn't touching anything.

I then chip budded (hadn't read your post) and sure enough root bark was too big! I ended up having to put two buds just to fill the chip!! Of course those two buds fell on dirt as well...

LOOKS SO EASY ON UTUBE!!!

I'll wait 21 days and see if by some miracle, either graft takes..

Thanks for all the help!

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
You can always try again in a month or wait for a shoot to grow out and try next fall.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers