Author Topic: Jackfruit - Looking for sweet, tasty, big.  (Read 1391 times)

JTYates

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
Jackfruit - Looking for sweet, tasty, big.
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
I am looking for Jackfruit seeds to germinate. What is your suggestion for a variety that is sweet, tasty, (juicy?) with size and where can I find the seeds? I keep reading about a variety, "Harry's Black Gold x Tabouey," from some older posts on a site called houzz? Anyone heard of him or that cross variety? Are there better varieties? Where can I find the seeds for whatever variety you recommend? I live in central Florida in zone 9 to 9.5.

Thank you for taking time to read and answer.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Jackfruit - Looking for sweet, tasty, big.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
Harry's BGxT does produce excellent fruit. I have a seedling from this tree that will produce its first fruits this year.

First, zone 9a/b will require significant cold protection. A greenhouse will be required to get this to fruit.

Second, jackfruit does not come true from seed. I have fruited a few seedlings and the resulting fruits are nothing like the parent. 2 are good, 1 might get removed. Just buy fruit and plant the seeds. It will be cheaper and if the fruit was good, you have just as good of a chance of getting a tree with good fruit.

Third, if you are going through all the trouble, you should seriously consider a grafted tree so you know all your hard work is going to produce a fruit you like.
Brandon

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
Re: Jackfruit - Looking for sweet, tasty, big.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
lets ve a look, my yellow jack , huge very sweet..

Han Sen

• Borneo
    • View Profile
Sen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk