Author Topic: Looking for large Sweetheart Lychee in SoCal  (Read 8286 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Looking for large Sweetheart Lychee in SoCal
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a large Sweetheart Lychee tree to purchase here in SoCal. It's difficult for me to drive around the nurseries looking for trees with my two young daughters and I don't want to call up the nurseries because I'm looking for a tree with decent shape and many of the nurseries around here simply want to unload their trees. I'm looking for a large tree if possible, I can rent a truck to drive it home if need be. I know there are many members here that frequent the nurseries so if you happen upon a nice large Sweetheart, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for large Sweetheart Lychee in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
Simon,

Go to ong nursery. He has plenty of good size. I bought one from him last year. It was 6-7 feet tall . After one year in my hand, it died off 1 of 2 branches.  Now the young leaves look very burned at the tip

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
How much does a good size sweetheart goes for in California? I been on the lookout for one for a while now, too.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
Hi Simon
You should've told me I prune branches that were 5' last fall
Text me
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:05:15 PM by JF »

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
Its probably going to be in the 200-400 range depending on how big.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
Its probably going to be in the 200-400 range depending on how big.

Yup , expect that range even more when you go to ong nursery

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Definitely take Frank up on the offer. If he can get you an air layered plant/branch it will be so much better.  The Sweetheart I purchased from Top Tropicals was really unhappy after it arrived.  It almost completely defoliated and it has taken me almost a year and a half to get it acclimated to California.  This is one of the lessons I learned about buying local, most of the plants in SD county are more expensive, but are well adjusted to the climate.  I have noticed it takes almost a whole year for many plants to acclimate if they are shipped in from another place.  If you have a greenhouse large enough to nurse them along, then all is good.
Bob

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »
I saw mimosa in L.a. ad states they have 20 gallon but they are really 15 gallon size with lychee I would buy anything less the a 25gallon size.   you can call champa in El monte also.  They have really nice and healthy trees a Lil pricer then mimosa but worth it in my opinion

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »
Simon,

Go to ong nursery. He has plenty of good size. I bought one from him last year. It was 6-7 feet tall . After one year in my hand, it died off 1 of 2 branches.  Now the young leaves look very burned at the tip

don't know if you did it but do not put fertilizer in the hole when you transplant.  I have seen many lychee trees die this way

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »
don't know if you did it but do not put fertilizer in the hole when you transplant.  I have seen many lychee trees die this way
[/quote]

I did not put fertilizer in the hole when I planted. However I use grow more branch 10-52-10 to fertilize it . I notice that longan, lychee show the brown tips on leaves the most. The rest, I don't see any problem. Now I only use rain water to see the brown tips disappear.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. I got a nice small air layer from Leo Manuel last year but I'm looking for a large, already rooted tree for my mother in law. I'm looking for something in the 15-25 gallon range if not bigger. I can always put on some air layers onto Leos large Sweetheart but I don't want to wait another year. I'll call Mimosa and Champa and make a visit to Ongs. Thanks for the info everyone.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
I just called Mimosa in LA and the guy said they have some Sweetheart Lychees in 20 gallon containers on sale for about $285. If anyone happens to be at that nursery, I'd appreciate some pictures of their larger Sweetheart Lychees trees. Thanks in advance!

Simon

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 03:49:35 AM »
I just called Mimosa in LA and the guy said they have some Sweetheart Lychees in 20 gallon containers on sale for about $285. If anyone happens to be at that nursery, I'd appreciate some pictures of their larger Sweetheart Lychees trees. Thanks in advance!

Simon

Hi Simon,

I don't have any pictures but I was just there this weekend and saw several 20G Sweethearts flowering.
Couldn't tell if they were male or female flowers yet but they looked a bit on the skinny side.

Several Brewsters were blooming like crazy and huge 5-6 footers.
If only I saw this message while I was there I could have just did a live shot and let you cherry pick!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:40:43 PM by waxy »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Waxy, at least you confirmed they have have them. It's over a 2 hour drive each direction for me if there's no traffic. I need to find time to visit them.

I also called Ongs nursery but Quang's mom scared me off when she said they have large trees up to $2000! Yes, that's thousand!

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Simon,

Mimosa offers 15 gal plus on sale for $99 around Sep. I bought from him, mine died not at fault of Mimosa, its just my area winds and heat are bad for lychees. could be they need partial sun and full wind protection.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the info Waxy, at least you confirmed they have have them. It's over a 2 hour drive each direction for me if there's no traffic. I need to find time to visit them.

I also called Ongs nursery but Quang's mom scared me off when she said they have large trees up to $2000! Yes, that's thousand!

Simon

Just stop by and talk to him instead. He might have a tree more than 200 but less than thousand too. Don't let his mom scared you off :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:33 AM »
Yes, I need to call up Quang, he's a really good guy and I haven't seen him for a long time now. Ongs nursery is only 30 minutes from my house compared to Mimosa which is over two hours away.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 02:09:11 AM »
Hey Simon- Cal Rare Fruit Trees in Vista has 12 footers (I believe they said over 20 years old) for $10,000++. Lots of them in fact. I know they are outrageously overpriced but they are beautiful specimens. At minimum, its a nice place to walk around. Chris
-Chris

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »
Also, I remember Mimosa in Anaheim having 24" boxed Lychees (can't recall if they were sweethearts) that were pretty nice for about $1,000 give or take. Chris
-Chris

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Also, I remember Mimosa in Anaheim having 24" boxed Lychees (can't recall if they were sweethearts) that were pretty nice for about $1,000 give or take. Chris

wow!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 04:33:11 PM »
Hey Simon- Cal Rare Fruit Trees in Vista has 12 footers (I believe they said over 20 years old) for $10,000++. Lots of them in fact. I know they are outrageously overpriced but they are beautiful specimens. At minimum, its a nice place to walk around. Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll go check them out. I'm looking for the biggest healthiest Sweetheart I can find for $500 or less. I appreciate everyone's help!

Simon

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
 Sounds like i'm in the wrong business . I need to be buying and repotting lychees to box size  !

Kiet

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
$245

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Kiet! Are those at the Mimosa in LA?

Simon

Kiet

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »
yes