Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Bark Grafting Mango

(1/4) > >>

murahilin:
Anyone have any success bark grafting mangos? I was considering cutting back one of my larger trees and grafting into the stump directly but I'm not sure of the best method. I tried it once before but was unsuccessful.

Here is a video with one method that I found:

! No longer available

simon_grow:
I've never tried the technique in the video of the low bark graft but I have had success bark grafting like in this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0bc0GlXj0

I call it success because the scion healed and pushed but I was sick and didn't check on the graft for a long time. Last time I checked, there were tons of suckers growing around the cut trunk and they were definitely pulling energy from the grafted scion. I was going to remove all the shoots but decided instead to thin some out so I can graft them in the future.

Simon

xshen:
Here is a bark graft done the same way as the video Simon posted. This was done last year. This works well when the bark slips easily. If the cambial cells are harden and sticks to the bark as you peel the bark back, the graft will usually fail. the cambium layer is now between the semi harden cambium layer and the bark. when this happens, I will do whip grafts.

JF:
I've done bark graft on my stone fruits and a 6 year old ataulfo rootstock at a high success rate. I believe Gary from Palm Springs did many bark grafts on his mature Manila tree.

TheDom:
I helped a local grower do some bark grafting on a few older nonproductive trees he had already stumped. Neither of us had done it before but I'm pretty sure he said he got most of them to take. We basically did it just like the video in the OP, except we used grafting wax to seal things up instead of mud. Once mango season starts up again I'll get some pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version