Author Topic: Fruit Identification Help  (Read 3009 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Fruit Identification Help
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
So my aunt has a tree in her backyard planted around 30 years back by the former owners (a Jamaican couple).  After all these years, I noticed it looked awfully like my sapote trees, especially by the new flush and flowers.  On the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a fruit.  The fruit looks like a type of Mammea  Americana (Mamey Apple) but the seeds look like Sapote Seeds and I cannot find any photos anywhere for a Mamey Apple that has anything other than the large brown woody pit looking seeds.  I cut the fruit open (pre-ripe fruit) and the orange tinge also makes me think its a mamey apple.  Too bitter to determine via taste at this point.   Its a massive tree that only produces a handful of fruit every year.  My guess is that if its a mamey apple tree, it must be a female and somehow a male in the area is scarcely helping to pollinate it.  But the leaves also look more like a sapote than a mamey apple. I'm confused.  Any thoughts?

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
It is Manilkara sapote or commonly called sapodilla. I have tree which produces fruits like the one in the photo.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »
Sapodilla.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
It is Manilkara sapote or commonly called sapodilla. I have tree which produces fruits like the one in the photo.

These fruits are the size of a softball and the flesh is orange. I have several different types of sapodillia on my property, none of which look anything like this one. Can you post a pic of one that looks similar?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

These fruits are the size of a softball and the flesh is orange. I have several different types of sapodillia on my property, none of which look anything like this one. Can you post a pic of one that looks similar?

It's sapodilla. Stop doubting everyone. Google sapodilla and you will find some that look like that.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
Any reason why the tree might be fruiting so lightly and irregularly? It looks healthy and has a ton of flowers everywhere. It's a 40ft+ mature tree in direct sun. Thanks!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »
Any reason why the tree might be fruiting so lightly and irregularly? It looks healthy and has a ton of flowers everywhere. It's a 40ft+ mature tree in direct sun. Thanks!

I'd assume it's a seedling tree by the way you've described it.
That comes with territory. You might hit gold, more than likely it won't give you much.
My grandparents had a 20ft tree that looked beautiful, only problem is it gave them a few fruit a year. They got a 3 gallon alano and basically got as much from it and it's only been 3 years.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
Are most of the fruit that "tomato" shaped Johnny? I like the shape of that sappo.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:16 PM »
Probably it's underfed. Give it some fert.
Oscar

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
Are most of the fruit that "tomato" shaped Johnny? I like the shape of that sappo.

Yes, the young fruit are round like Chico varieties and then kinda get tomatoe shaped as they get larger.  I'm just surprised at the size. I've never seen them get this large in the rounder varieties.  I'm gonna fertilize and water heavily now that its starting to flower and see if that changes the game as far as yield and fruit quality.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 04:02:49 AM »
There's lots of different varieties of sapodilla, coming in many different sizes and shapes.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 04:57:57 AM »
I have seen big round sapodillas like that and cant recall if they were labelled as Russell or ponderosa.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
Generally speaking, a tree which produces light crops will produce larger fruits and vice versa.

Seedling trees can be unproductive like that. A neighbor of ours has a giant avocado tree (from seed) which produces 3 or 4 fruits per year despite wide scale flowering. Imperfect flowers maybe?
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk