Author Topic: Honey Salak seeds for Trade  (Read 1954 times)

Ali

• View Profile
Honey Salak seeds for Trade
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Re: Honey Salak seeds for Trade
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »

Hello,

I have heard Salak Gular PAsir is the best variety. What is this huney salak. Its from where. From which place are you from. You sell the seeds at what price. I am from sri lanka

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »
There is a Malaysian variety of S,zalacca subs zalacca sometimes called honey and it perhaps more like yogiyarta than bali types and is not a mono. Is it this? That variety is very spherical and quite pale, The fruit in the picture looks a bit like S.wallichiana but there are no varieties called honey. I have heard there are wallichiana x zallacas in Malaysia and I am wondering if this could be one of those.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:05:44 AM »
Mike do you know if the gulan pasir is mono?
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 12:27:11 AM »
Bali salaks S.zalacca var.amboina (also on Ambon) are all monos unlike other salaks including S.zalacca further west in Indonesia. Gula pasir of the eastern highlands has smaller fruit than most and its name refers to sugar because it is sweet. Of the 13 main bali types it consistently is rated as the best by people who have compared the fruit quality of various bali salaks.Is it better than the good Javan ones? Yes seems to be the answer.Is it better than the Thai Sala (S.wallachiana ) Sumalee? Perhaps it is and it is certainly way better than the non-sala(not improved cultivars) wallichianas and sala (cultivated forms) sane or noen wong.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
Yeah, it seems like most people put gula pasir at the top of the heap for S. zalacca.  However, I tried several varieties on Bali & Java and they were all pretty good -- the ones I tried were all "keepers" in my book.  So I suspect that this honey salak is also quite tasty.  Ali will have to tell us if this honey is the madu from Java.  I have attached a pic from Sleman, the salak "capital" just outside of Jogja.  If I recall correctly, the baskets to the woman's left contain madu.  These look lighter in color than Ali's honey but you will see that some have shapes as elongated as his.  (Those in baskets to her immediate left & in front of her are Pondoh super.  The very small basket sitting on top of other baskets contain gading.)

John

Sorry, I finally had to give up with this small image.  I tried to load a larger image so that you could actually see the shape of the salak in the baskets but I could not successfully upload it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:56:08 PM by HIfarm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »
Heya John and I am conscious of overtaking this thread.
Boni and nana Balis get honourable mentions but many Balis are like pineapple core and hard. Javanese Pondoh might be a bit more dry and crumbly than is ideal, some Javanese have an 'earthy" hint and thai sala that is less than A grade can get brown stains and can have a cough medicine taste so it gets a bit subjective and experiences differ between tasters.
I see what you mean about the elongated ones so this Honey could be a Javanese one like that.     

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:58:34 PM »
Im from Brunei , Probably native or naturalized , Perhaps by looking at the seedling or inside the seed could help identify the exact identity ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk