Author Topic: Sapodilla recommendation South Florida  (Read 4201 times)

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sapodilla recommendation South Florida
« on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
I'm looking to add a Sapodilla. I'm looking at some of these and looking for your thoughts.
Silas Woods-
Alamo-
Hasy-
Tikal-

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla recommendation South Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
I like Makok

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »

I wonder how is the growth habit of brown sugar compare to makok?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
I'm looking to add a Sapodilla. I'm looking at some of these and looking for your thoughts.
Silas Woods-
Alamo-
Hasy-
Tikal-

I remember the Alamo....  Sometimes while snacking on an Alano.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
Makok is very sweet! It is my favorite so far. Alano is also very good and I think it gets overall bigger then Makok.
You might as well get one of each ::)

ras954

• Lauderdale FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
I have a 5 year old Alano that reliably produced a lot of fruit.  I live in Lauderdale and have it planted in a 20 G container. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
I've found the Excalibur variety to be very productive and it has medium to large fruit.

I planted a Hasya and an Excalibur at the same time around 4 years ago. I got around 50 sapodilla from the Excalibur each year for the past two years and only 3 each year from the Hasya.

Quality of fruit are both pretty comparable.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Silas woods and Tikal are my 2 favorites, with Silas being the winner for smaller spaces.

Silas woods is insanely productive, and the fruits quality is top notch. I believe the silas woods to be a seedling of the makok. It has the dwarf and ultra-productive habit of the makok, but the fruits are slightly larger, with white flesh, and a less intense / smoother flavor (honey vs panela). The only drawback is that the wood tends to be brittle. It's very common to find broken branches due to the weight of the crop and / or raccoons feasting on immature fruits.

Tikal is extremely productive, fruits twice per year (smaller crop is in the summer), and the fruit is extremely delicious. Pine Island's variety viewer gives it low rankings in production and flavor, but that betrays my experience with the tikal -- which is completely the opposite.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 11:54:10 PM »
Alano is super productive,  with excellent taste and texture and a long fruiting season.   Morena is another excellent fruit, larger in size than Alano but shorter season.

Makok is too small of a fruit with edible flesh ratio on the lower side and due to its smaller size, can be a pain in the butt to eat ( yes, i know the skin is edible but i have no interest in eating sapodilla skin).
- Rob

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
Alano is super productive,  with excellent taste and texture and a long fruiting season.   Morena is another excellent fruit, larger in size than Alano but shorter season.

Makok is too small of a fruit with edible flesh ratio on the lower side and due to its smaller size, can be a pain in the butt to eat ( yes, i know the skin is edible but i have no interest in eating sapodilla skin).

Sounds like Alano is your choice, thanks Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
We've had a hasya un the ground for 3 years... we got 1 fruit off it and that's mostly because the branch semi-snapped and stressed itself.

we planted an alano 6 months ago - it has 5 maturing fruit on it and is loaded with flowers.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
I don't have experience with other varieties, but I sure do like my Alano--beautiful, productive tree and medium-size, richly flavored fruit.
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Alano and Silas stay away from Hasya
Sapodilla are too sweet they make one of the best gelato and sorbet besides guanabana and Jamaica and bananas
Guanabana sorbet

Jamaica & banana gelato delicious

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
I liked the ones the Fruit and Spice Park let us taste.  Just like pear with brown sugar.  Anyone know the variety?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
I liked the ones the Fruit and Spice Park let us taste.  Just like pear with brown sugar.  Anyone know the variety?

That us basically the generic description for all varieties except for Silas Woods (like people saying jackfruit taste like juicyfruit gum).  Many people nickname sapodilla as "brown sugar pears".

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
I think tikal is actually a better producer than morena. It also produces twice a year (very long season). Flavor and size  is very similar to morena. PI's variety viewer is whacked. This one is closer to my experience: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg057

Jeff  :-)