Author Topic: Looking for New pineapple Varieties ?  (Read 2286 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Looking for New pineapple Varieties ?
« on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
Hi i'm new to the group i signed up to see about finding different pineapple plant varieties that others grow and offer to sell the suckers or slips if you have any your willing to sell can you please list what you have and the price and i will let ya know if i'm interested in the variety you have.... i myself grow many different variety of pineapple plants but always looking for new ones to add     
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for New pineapple Varieties ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:27:10 PM »
WOW! It looks like you have it better covered than most of us here :-)

Regards,

Gary

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:44:14 PM »
Well there are still lots of varieties  of pineapple plants i would like to find so maybe i would have some luck here in this group ya never know what others mite have to offer.... once I'm able to get my plants going good and get enough offsets i plan to share or sale them at a later time

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:32 AM »
I bought a couple of "Elite Gold" pineapple plants on Ebay, you can check there for them.
Regards,

Gary

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks  for sharing i have seen them before being sold online

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »
I have never seen any of the whites here and I wonder why. Many of the pineapples here have just numbers for identification with 73-50,MD-2 and a selection of Queen types being common.24-80,53-116 and 58-1184 are less common types identified by their number only.10-25-94 is a new extra sweet type. Jubilee, carnival, aussie gold, mareeba gold and Hawaiian gold all get great reviews and are low acid of course.It cant be too long before they make it to the US if they can compete with the best types there.The worst pineapple would have to be the common old widespread cayenne.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
I have never seen any of the whites here and I wonder why. Many of the pineapples here have just numbers for identification with 73-50,MD-2 and a selection of Queen types being common.24-80,53-116 and 58-1184 are less common types identified by their number only.10-25-94 is a new extra sweet type. Jubilee, carnival, aussie gold, mareeba gold and Hawaiian gold all get great reviews and are low acid of course.It cant be too long before they make it to the US if they can compete with the best types there.The worst pineapple would have to be the common old widespread cayenne.

Alot of pineapples don't ship well thats why you wont find them in alot of places... Now about MD-1 AND MD-2 you can find out about them from the page i posted below not sure if you seen it or not but gives ya an idea why they called them by the numbers
http://www.chfusa.com/pineapples_md2.htm

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
Aha that makes sense and MD-1 is just 73-50.I think these are more subtropical here and not grown in the tropics and common standards in supermarkets because those farms are closer to bigger cities here. Mareeba is well over 1000 miles north of the state capital. It looks like they are losing ground against bigger sweeter types like Mareeba Gold and with newer better varieties. The various queen types are also highly favoured by backyard growers and some get huge fruit. 

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
yes for me the queen pineapple is great Plant to grow. its taste is one of the best to me for it being such a small pineapple only down fall is the spines all over the leaves really sharp will cut the crap out of you best to wear long sleeves and gloves when working with them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk