Author Topic: Groves in Central Florida  (Read 1240 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Groves in Central Florida
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
I drove through Central Florida over the weekend passing a ton of groves.  It was strange to see some that were completely dead alternating with some groves that looked completely untouched (from the road passing at 55 mph).

Is the difference in pesticide usage and/or nutrient suplimentation?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Groves in Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
Some may be groves that were just let go by land owner. I remember seeing neglected groves as s child in FL, way before greening outbreak. Have seen apple orchards let go in NC to.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
At the present time in Florida it is very expensive to maintain a HLB infected grove to remain as productive as possible (and almost 100 percent of Florida groves are infected).  Some growers cannot afford the cost, and some barely can.  Those that spray, provide extra nutrition, and avail themselves with the various scientific programs, have groves that look as good as possible.  Others have abandoned their properties which then become Asia citrus psyllid generators..

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
Along I-95, almost all of the groves I've seen were abandoned - even the really big commercial groves.  I was just surprised to see working groves in Central Florida where every tree was big and had a thick canopy of dark green leaves. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk