Author Topic: Another Mango Tree Bites The Dust! Goodbye Harvest Moon!  (Read 3668 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Another Mango Tree Bites The Dust! Goodbye Harvest Moon!
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »
My Harvest Moon mango tree has one mango on it.  It was planted as a 3 gal on 7/12/2012.  It has not done well in my yard (high humidity and hot), so I will be top working it this year.  The Harvest Moon will follow in the path of the Pina Colada and Pineapple Pleasure trees in my yard. 

The varieties I am thinking of grafting onto the Harvest Moon stump:

Mahachanok
Sweet Tart
Angie
Beverly
Venus
Rapoza (Florida Red)
Glenn
Duncan

I am leaning towards Mahachanok or Beverly.  What are your thoughts on the replacement variety?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Another Mango Tree Bites The Dust! Goodbye Harvest Moon!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
Other than size and color, Harvest Moon has never been one of the better of the recent releases.  A deluxe "basic" or "generic" mango.

Maybe go with Mahachanok and Venus.  I would personally recommend Sweet Tart for its quality but growth habit does not match with Mahachanok or Venus.

Beverly can be finicky when top working on its initial take/growth but quality is very good.

Rapoza...meh.  Same with Glenn and Duncan  (early season Duncan are usually inferior).

I fhink you may have issues with Angie in your area.  I am not a fan of it either due to its Carrie like taste.

- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:42:37 AM »
I planted my HM a few months after you. I will have a small to medium crop depending on how they hold this year, first fruiting.  I have not tasted them yet. Not a precocious tree from reports i have read.  I have not heard any raving reviews on flavor, "better than Glenn" which doesn't say much to me.

I think we are in similar situations with rain and fungus  Forget rapoza. Good fruit but poor disease resistance.

Venus, Angie, sweet tart, and maha do good for me. Venus is slow growing but that may be from my laziness. It holds fruit too well and I have to thin it. Best late mango I have tasted but I have not tasted some of the newer ones. Angie and sweet tart grown by me are ugly on the outside  but taste great. Maha will look and taste great.

Beverly and glenn do nothing for me. Might as well wait out harvest moon before topworking to those. Had to spit out Duncan at fruit and spice park a few years ago. Multiple fruit tasted equally bad. Tree was in a funk that year.
Brandon

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Personally, I would go with Sweet Tart or Maha for flavor. I like Glenn too, not because it's especially delicious, but it produces like a monster.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
If you already have Sweet Tart and Maha, I would go with Venus.
And definitely thin the fruit until it achieves some growth.

If you don't have Maha already, I'd go with that, while you are still young.

I have baby trees of some of the new Zill ones, but I know nothing about their relative disease resistance.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
I planted my HM a few months after you. I will have a small to medium crop depending on how they hold this year, first fruiting.  I have not tasted them yet. Not a precocious tree from reports i have read.  I have not heard any raving reviews on flavor, "better than Glenn" which doesn't say much to me.

I think we are in similar situations with rain and fungus  Forget rapoza. Good fruit but poor disease resistance.

Venus, Angie, sweet tart, and maha do good for me. Venus is slow growing but that may be from my laziness. It holds fruit too well and I have to thin it. Best late mango I have tasted but I have not tasted some of the newer ones. Angie and sweet tart grown by me are ugly on the outside  but taste great. Maha will look and taste great.

Beverly and glenn do nothing for me. Might as well wait out harvest moon before topworking to those. Had to spit out Duncan at fruit and spice park a few years ago. Multiple fruit tasted equally bad. Tree was in a funk that year.

We probably have similar humidity & fungus issues.  I'm surprised on the Rapoza... my 3 gal Rapoza (planted last year) produced 6 quarter sized fruit (without spraying that tree), before I notice the fruit and removed the fruit.  BSBullie is correct about Angie having some issues.  Mango scab that affects new leaf growth on my Angie, but still produces a decent amount of fruit for me. 

Glenn is a good producer in my yard.  Beverly is a newer planting, but has about 20+ fruit on it.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
At 2 years in the ground, my rapoza tree was 10ft tall and 7ft wide and I got around 10 fruit. Last year, fungus wiped out every flower and there was barely any fruit set. None made it past pea size. This year I have 5 fruit golf ball sized and I am not sure they will make it.  Only tree more affected by fungus in my yard is southern blush.
Brandon

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:22:12 PM »
Is Beverly any good?
Quentin

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »
Is Beverly any good?

Its not super complex like many of the new varieties but it is a very good, very sweet mango.  It is also a cery late mango which gives it an edge.  If it were a mid season mango, it may not stand out as much.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:09:56 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Rapoza is definitely very anthracnose prone in western areas

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:35 PM »
Is Beverly any good?

For a late season mango... it's better than a Keitt.
www.FLMangos.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
If 'Beverly' is better than 'Keitt,' that's saying a lot about 'Beverly.' Thank you for the info.

Is Beverly any good?

For a late season mango... it's better than a Keitt.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk