Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Queen Victororia Pineapple Plant  (Read 387 times)

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Queen Victororia Pineapple Plant
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
One of my Queen Victoria African Pineapple plants getting bigger cant wait to see how it turns out over time :)

Why i like Growing Queen pineapple there cold-resistant and more disease-resistant very easy to grow and has a great taste to them makes them worth growing even though the fruit is smaller than other types of pineapple grown 

Current Facts
Baby Queen Victoria pineapples go by many names, depending on the country in which you find them. In Australia they are ‘common rough’ pineapples, Britain, 'Victoria pineapples' or in South Africa, ‘Zululand pineapples’. They are unique pineapples and have slowly made a name for themselves in the world market since the 1980s

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:57:22 PM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples:(Red Spanish)( Queen Victoria)(Natal)(Cheese Pine)(Sweet Stripes)(Kaua'i Sugarloaf)

(Jimmy)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Victororia Pineapple Plant
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »
 Beautiful plant but looks thorny. I recently planted the top of a Queen Pineapple and it also has sharp spines for such a small plant. It would be great to hear a review of your favorite pineapples out of all the varieties you are growing.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
Beautiful plant but looks thorny. I recently planted the top of a Queen Pineapple and it also has sharp spines for such a small plant. It would be great to hear a review of your favorite pineapples out of all the varieties you are growing.

Simon

Thanks.... yeah it does have spines running down its leaves and there very sharp.... the queen pineapple plant gets really huge and the fruit it grows is so small but the taste is awesome for something being so small.... and it tends to produce suckers without fruiting so thats always good means more plants to grow at a faster rate....and always have fruit year round lol

Where did you end up finding your Queen pineapple at took me forever to find them but i did in the long run lol

the place where i found mine at calls them South African Baby Pineapples AKA Queen Victoria
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:00:11 PM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples:(Red Spanish)( Queen Victoria)(Natal)(Cheese Pine)(Sweet Stripes)(Kaua'i Sugarloaf)

(Jimmy)

fyliu

• Burbank, CA weekdays Covina, CA weekends zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:47 AM »
Simon said in another thread that he finds them at Vons supermarket. I got mine from a Korean/Chinese market.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Yes, Fang is correct, I got them at Vons. They are advertised as cocktail pineapples and it was very very good with a unique crunchy texture, soft core and high sugar but also high acidity. I took the top and dried it for three days and then stripped multiple layers off the bottom and planted it into an acidic potting mix.

If I can retain my enthusiasm for pineapples, I will be crossing my White Jade with the Queen, selecting the best tasting offspring regardless of thorns and then back crossing to the WJ to set the thornless trait and high Brix with good acidity.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
Yes, Fang is correct, I got them at Vons. They are advertised as cocktail pineapples and it was very very good with a unique crunchy texture, soft core and high sugar but also high acidity. I took the top and dried it for three days and then stripped multiple layers off the bottom and planted it into an acidic potting mix.

If I can retain my enthusiasm for pineapples, I will be crossing my White Jade with the Queen, selecting the best tasting offspring regardless of thorns and then back crossing to the WJ to set the thornless trait and high Brix with good acidity.

Simon
that would be awesome to see how that turns out

(Jimmy)

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
Update Info about Queen Pineapple

Current Facts
Baby Queen Victoria pineapples go by many names, depending on the country in which you find them. In Australia they are ‘common rough’ pineapples, Britain, 'Victoria pineapples' or in South Africa, ‘Zululand pineapples’. They are unique pineapples and have slowly made a name for themselves in the world market since the 1980s

(Jimmy)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Zululand Queen Pineapples

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Zululand Queen Pineapples

Simon

Thanks for Posting them

(Jimmy)

Evildeadguy

• Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
Why i like Growing Queen pineapple there cold-resistant and more disease-resistant very easy to grow and has a great taste to them makes them worth growing even though the fruit is smaller than other types of pineapple grown 

(Jimmy)

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers