Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Anyone grow melons in South Florida  (Read 227 times)

Donkeys4hire

• Ike's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Anyone grow melons in South Florida
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »
Does anyone here grow melons in south FL?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone grow melons in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
Any particular types?

I once grew watermelon, got a couple but snails and something else ate the plants. Never tried again.
Regards,

Gary

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
I've grown sugar baby watermelons before, they don't do well until it's dry.

Mr. Clean

• Fruit Trees Attract Women...it's a good thing
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:25 PM »
I don't grow any melons.  But a lot of women in South Florida seem to grow melons after visiting a plastic surgeon. 
110+ fruit trees/plants; 65+ mango trees; 13 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 lychee; 3 persimmon; 2 longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »
Heyyy Ohh!

Aaron

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I think watermelons originally were brought over from West Africa, so I think you shouldn't have any problems growing them down there.  The summers here in South Carolina are as hot and muggy as anything you would have in south Florida and a lot of people around here grow them.  I'm growing Charleston Grey/Ali Baba, Orangeglo, Sugar Baby, and Moon and Stars watermelons and also Hearts of Gold Cantaloupe.  I grew some nice Honeydews last year, but my wife doesn't like those, so they didn't get planted again this year.  Only problem I have is with Charleston Grey being very prone to end rot, due to calcium deficiency. 

spaugh

• Amatuer gardener
    • Poway, San Diego County, California 9B, sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
I got a pack of sugar baby seeds and have several plants started in pots waiting to be transplanted into raised beds.  Never grown them before.  A question for you guys that grow them.  How many do I pack into a 4x8 ft bed? 

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
You could probably put 6 plants in a 4x8 raised bed.  I was going to do that also, but decided to plant a much larger patch in the ground in a different area.  I wanted to be sure I had enough plants to have watermelons throughout the summer.  You usually want to get about 2 fruit per plant.  Any more than that and the fruits are not as big as they should be.

Donkeys4hire

• Ike's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Do you grow the watermelons from seeds?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
Yes, from seeds. At current Florida temps they will germinate quickly, about 1 week, plant about 1/2" deep. I recommend Sugar Baby, seeds are easy to get at farm supply stores. Plant 2-3 seeds and thin to one every 2 ft, give your bed good fertility organic or otherwise, plenty of water, mulch to prevent weeds because once they start to run weeding will be hard. You might consider laying down a few sheets of newspaper over the 4x8 bed. They will run 6 ft, so train them back onto the bed every few days when they start to run away from the bed. Once you get 2 fruits/vine terminate the vine growth and ensuing branches.
The melons will be black and about 5-10 lbs each. You might try resting them on a block of wood or brick to prevent belly rot. They are ripe when the tendril closest to the fruit is dried up, or when the coons dig a small hole in them and eat them all up for you, about 90 days. Now is the time, or wait till Fall and try again.

spaugh

• Amatuer gardener
    • Poway, San Diego County, California 9B, sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Going to do 6 plants in a bed as suggested and also throw 10 or 15 more out on a hillside in a row or 2.  Will dig a horizontal trench behind/above them to flood irrigate on the hill. Also hoing to put in a bunch of pumpkins.  We will see if the rabbits mess with them.  Can't hurt to try I guess.  We have a friend that is hooked on frozen water melon.  She is always bringing us things and doing computer work for us.  So I plant extra crops to share with her.  This years gift crop is water melon and 8 types of heirloom tomatos. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:17:15 PM by spaugh »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers