Author Topic: Anyone grow melons in South Florida  (Read 4036 times)

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Anyone grow melons in South Florida
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »
Does anyone here grow melons in south FL?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone grow melons in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
Any particular types?

I once grew watermelon, got a couple but snails and something else ate the plants. Never tried again.
Regards,

Gary

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
I've grown sugar baby watermelons before, they don't do well until it's dry.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:25 PM »
I don't grow any melons.  But a lot of women in South Florida seem to grow melons after visiting a plastic surgeon. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »
Heyyy Ohh!
-Chris

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I think watermelons originally were brought over from West Africa, so I think you shouldn't have any problems growing them down there.  The summers here in South Carolina are as hot and muggy as anything you would have in south Florida and a lot of people around here grow them.  I'm growing Charleston Grey/Ali Baba, Orangeglo, Sugar Baby, and Moon and Stars watermelons and also Hearts of Gold Cantaloupe.  I grew some nice Honeydews last year, but my wife doesn't like those, so they didn't get planted again this year.  Only problem I have is with Charleston Grey being very prone to end rot, due to calcium deficiency. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
I got a pack of sugar baby seeds and have several plants started in pots waiting to be transplanted into raised beds.  Never grown them before.  A question for you guys that grow them.  How many do I pack into a 4x8 ft bed? 
Brad Spaugh

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
You could probably put 6 plants in a 4x8 raised bed.  I was going to do that also, but decided to plant a much larger patch in the ground in a different area.  I wanted to be sure I had enough plants to have watermelons throughout the summer.  You usually want to get about 2 fruit per plant.  Any more than that and the fruits are not as big as they should be.

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Do you grow the watermelons from seeds?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
Yes, from seeds. At current Florida temps they will germinate quickly, about 1 week, plant about 1/2" deep. I recommend Sugar Baby, seeds are easy to get at farm supply stores. Plant 2-3 seeds and thin to one every 2 ft, give your bed good fertility organic or otherwise, plenty of water, mulch to prevent weeds because once they start to run weeding will be hard. You might consider laying down a few sheets of newspaper over the 4x8 bed. They will run 6 ft, so train them back onto the bed every few days when they start to run away from the bed. Once you get 2 fruits/vine terminate the vine growth and ensuing branches.
The melons will be black and about 5-10 lbs each. You might try resting them on a block of wood or brick to prevent belly rot. They are ripe when the tendril closest to the fruit is dried up, or when the coons dig a small hole in them and eat them all up for you, about 90 days. Now is the time, or wait till Fall and try again.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Going to do 6 plants in a bed as suggested and also throw 10 or 15 more out on a hillside in a row or 2.  Will dig a horizontal trench behind/above them to flood irrigate on the hill. Also hoing to put in a bunch of pumpkins.  We will see if the rabbits mess with them.  Can't hurt to try I guess.  We have a friend that is hooked on frozen water melon.  She is always bringing us things and doing computer work for us.  So I plant extra crops to share with her.  This years gift crop is water melon and 8 types of heirloom tomatos. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:17:15 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
I think watermelons originally were brought over from West Africa, so I think you shouldn't have any problems growing them down there.  The summers here in South Carolina are as hot and muggy as anything you would have in south Florida and a lot of people around here grow them.  I'm growing Charleston Grey/Ali Baba, Orangeglo, Sugar Baby, and Moon and Stars watermelons and also Hearts of Gold Cantaloupe.  I grew some nice Honeydews last year, but my wife doesn't like those, so they didn't get planted again this year.  Only problem I have is with Charleston Grey being very prone to end rot, due to calcium deficiency.

Nice varieties!! Looks like lots of great varieties from BakerCreek! ;D Last year I tried growing Jubilee, Orangeglo, & the Bradford watermelons. After being in containers & being overrun with insects, I was only able to harvest a 1 pound jubilee watermelon 🍉. Got some Janosik & Sugar Baby also that I might try after giving the Orangeglo & the Bradford another chance this year.
Sergio

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »
For anyone growing Sugar baby watermelons, you may also like Hime Kansen or Hokkaido Black. They are both very good with high Brix and great texture. Orange glo is another great tasting variety.

Simin

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »
I am not n south Florida...in Bermuda and growing lots of melons...

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »
I did watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe. But I did it in our winter, because those are the best temps down here, and they did better in containers indoors in the window than they did in-ground outside, because the soil is way too dry then and they need too much watering. But we have excellent drainage here. It's not worth watering them every day to me. But I might try again in the future.