Author Topic: Precocious Jakcfruit variety  (Read 1397 times)

mahen.jnk

• India
    • View Profile
Precocious Jakcfruit variety
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »
I have both Srilankan (Singapore) Jackfruit variety seeds as well as bud grafted plants of the same variety available in our local nursery. Which one bears fruit quickly, the grafted one or seedling? Somewhere I read an article that says this particular variety bears fruit in the 2nd year itself if grown from seed. Is this correct? Appreciate any help?

Thanks

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Precocious Jakcfruit variety
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »
I have both Srilankan (Singapore) Jackfruit variety seeds as well as bud grafted plants of the same variety available in our local nursery. Which one bears fruit quickly, the grafted one or seedling? Somewhere I read an article that says this particular variety bears fruit in the 2nd year itself if grown from seed. Is this correct? Appreciate any help?

Thanks
M

I suggest getting the grafted trees because the seedlings do not always produce the same quality of fruit as a grafted plant. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mahen.jnk

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Thank You. It appears that this particular variety produces fruit 90% true to its parent. That's why I may want to pant seed if that bears fruit quickly than the grafted one.   Any thoughts guys?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »
Where did you get the 90% number? If jakfruit are grown in isolation or monoculture, seedlings might be similar to parent. Every seedling i have fruited is significantly different. From my limited experience, seedlings fruit in 3-4 years. Rarely, they fruit sooner.
Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk