Author Topic: Kesar Mango  (Read 25367 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Kesar Mango
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »
Seems no one has mentioned the Kesar mango in this forum,  Jeff you have trees listed for sale, but this is an open question to anyone that has them.  what can you tell me about them.  taste, fiber, disease resistance etc.

I know there are descriptions on the Indian sites, but to them all mangoes are sacred lol.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:44:01 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Kesar Mango ( Calling Jeff Out )
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
Seems no one has mentioned the Kesar mango in this forum,  Jeff you have trees listed for sale, but this is an open question to anyone that has them.  what can you tell me about them.  taste, fiber, disease resistance etc.

I know there are descriptions on the Indian sites, but to them all mangoes are sacred lol.

There have been some brief Kesar discussions.  They were more or less in passing in other mango threads.  I bought one of these from Jeff and planted it out.  The very small tree bloomed this past year and set a fruit without any spraying.  From my very limited observations, it looks to be a tree that will be fruitful here in S. Florida without spraying.  It seems anthracnose resistant.  Unfortunately, my one fruit got knocked off in a windstorm and so I cannot report how it is.  From its reputation, however, I am hopeful that it will be a star in my yard.  The jury is very much still out on this question.  Hopefully next year, I'll be able to report some more definitive information. I have not bought this or any other fruit from the Indian Importers. 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
I've eaten Kesar fruit imported from India and I can tell it is an excellent mango with complex flavour. I wonder if the fruit in FL would taste as good as the indians, since Alphonso in FL is nothing special. In any case I remenber Jeff writing very positive things about the fruit.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
I had 2 fruits this year from a 3 gallon sized tree, and both were exquisite. The fruit were smallish with an orange fiberless flesh. They had a very sweet and complex flavor with somewhat of a coconutty tone. There was little to no acidity. The trees have absolutely no problem with anthracnose -- similar to the mallika in that regard. Bearing season seems to be mid.

Here's a picture of the fruit. It has a pointed tail to it. Unfortunately I didn't take a snap after I cracked it open; I must have gotten too excited :-).

Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
I had 2 fruits this year from a 3 gallon sized tree, and both were exquisite. The fruit were smallish with an orange fiberless flesh. They had a very sweet and complex flavor with somewhat of a coconutty tone. There was little to no acidity. The trees have absolutely no problem with anthracnose -- similar to the mallika in that regard. Bearing season seems to be mid.

Here's a picture of the fruit. It has a pointed tail to it. Unfortunately I didn't take a snap after I cracked it open; I must have gotten too excited :-).

What does the growth habit seem to be on it?  Form your findings this year, does it seem more precocious than Mallika?
- Rob

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:01 AM »
Thanks so much for the information, an agronomist friend of mine expressed his interest, actually its him and the Ex President, he has a ranch with experimental plantings of a hundred or so varieties, but does not have the Kesar.

I believe the interest is to study it to see how it will handle the wetter regions on the Island,  from what I can gather, in India they plant Kesar in regions not as dry as where Alphonso is grown.

I think this variety would be great for my location in the city, we get a lot of rain here, similar to Fla in the summer, ( daily afternoon rains etc. )

Jeff that mango looks pretty clean, no spots and stuff, did yours turn yellow or did you eat it green?

@Harry to bad you lost your only Kesar,

Again thanks for all your input.  I believe Kesar is one I will put on my list for next trip. Looks nice, good reputation, disease resistance and with good taste and no fiber sound s like a winner.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
Growth habit seems to be vigorous. It's too early to gauge precocity.

What does the growth habit seem to be on it?  Form your findings this year, does it seem more precocious than Mallika?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
If I remember correctly, it did yellow up when I ate it; but my recollection on that is dim.

Thanks so much for the information, an agronomist friend of mine expressed his interest, actually its him and the Ex President, he has a ranch with experimental plantings of a hundred or so varieties, but does not have the Kesar.

I believe the interest is to study it to see how it will handle the wetter regions on the Island,  from what I can gather, in India they plant Kesar in regions not as dry as where Alphonso is grown.

I think this variety would be great for my location in the city, we get a lot of rain here, similar to Fla in the summer, ( daily afternoon rains etc. )

Jeff that mango looks pretty clean, no spots and stuff, did yours turn yellow or did you eat it green?

Again thanks for all your input.  I believe Kesar is one I will put on my list for next trip. Looks nice, good reputation, disease resistance and with good taste and no fiber sound s like a winner.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
Jeff, Kesar looks very promising.  How does it compare to the Lemon Zest?  :o
Adiel

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »
Please don't go there...it is actually probably better (but The Cookie Man will never admit it)... ;D :P :blank:
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
HAHAHAHA Wife and I still consider LZ (27-1) to be the boss (:-), but kesar may have better production characteristics. I suspect that there may be some that like kesar over LZ, as it is an incredible mango. Dr Campbell was the one who turned me on to the kesar, and I really believe it's likely to eventually be a top FL homeowner cultivar.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Jeff, when are the fruits of the Kesar mango tree ready to pick compared to Carrie, Glenn,  coconut cream, and lemon zest?  :)  If I remembered correctly, I think you told me that the fruits of your Carrie tree are usually ready to eat after your Glenn. So I'm just wondering what their harvest-time order is.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »
I found a pic of ripe Kesar mangoes.

Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
The two that I harvested were around the time of the LZ. So it goes Glenn, then Carrie, then LZ and Kesar. I'm basing my observations on 1 tree though :-).

Glenn is nice, because it comes in before most of the other cultivars. I generally start to harvest mine in mid to late may. Not the world's top mango, but pretty darn yummy when you ain't got nothing else to munch on :-).  I send them back home to my family who think they are awesome compared to the ghetto mangoes that they find in the store.

Jeff, when are the fruits of the Kesar mango tree ready to pick compared to Carrie, Glenn,  coconut cream, and lemon zest?  :)  If I remembered correctly, I think you told me that the fruits of your Carrie tree are usually ready to eat after your Glenn. So I'm just wondering what their harvest-time order is.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:56:56 PM by Cookie Monster »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »
Yep, that's how I remembered it (without the wrinkles), deep orange flesh.

I found a pic of ripe Kesar mangoes.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
Is zill's still propagating the Kesar?

I haven't seen it on any of the nursery lists i checked.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:31:32 AM »

Just an update on this, since it got bumped, I did get the Kesar, and have to say, it has grown well in its container,  its seems to have some resistance to powdery mildew, and is a vigorous grower.   I even approached grafted it to a seedling, that one is doing well also.  no flowering yet, maybe next year.
William

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
The Kesar I ordered from Mangozz.com looked like what was posted but mine was yellow with some green. The fruit when ripe are very aromatic. It has a very complex and rich sweet flavor that I have not tasted before, I live in California. It is complex but not piney like the Alphonso. I thought it was sweeter than the Alphonso. I would definitely plant a tree if I could find it here or get scions. I would say the complexity, the depth of flavor is even more complex than the Edwards I have eaten. A really delicious mango!
Simon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
The Kesar I ordered from Mangozz.com looked like what was posted but mine was yellow with some green. The fruit when ripe are very aromatic. It has a very complex and rich sweet flavor that I have not tasted before, I live in California. It is complex but not piney like the Alphonso. I thought it was sweeter than the Alphonso. I would definitely plant a tree if I could find it here or get scions. I would say the complexity, the depth of flavor is even more complex than the Edwards I have eaten. A really delicious mango!
Simon

Wow!  I don't hear all that much about the Kesar, even on the forum...But that description makes it sound amazing!!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Simon

Thanks for that info.  I heard it was a good variety, and was disease resistant.   I have read that it is the recommended variety for processing, ( canning, pulp etc ) has firm flesh and good keeping quality.  can't wait to try them out.
William

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
The few Kesars that I had were indeed very complex in flavor.

I believe that it was Dr Richard Campbell who introduced the jumbo kesar a few years back after his travels to India. I believe that Gary Zill got some budwood from him and grafted up a small batch. I don't think we'll see it on the zill's variety list until Gary plants out a tree (if he hasn't already), fruits it, and determines that it's worthy of propagation.

The kesar seems to be very disease resistant. Could be a good one for south fl. Only time will tell.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
Just wanted to say, there may be some good news for Kesar lovers in the US, there is a plantation in the DR with intentions of exporting Kesar to the US. the trees are only 3 yeas old. and have started to give fruit.  only a few were mature enough today to be picked, I got one, Noris Ledesma got the rest.

Very attractive tree, growing well in a very arid area of the country.  the Jumbo Kesar is very attractive. good size.  I will give more updates on this project in the future. also have a video in the works, will post.

At this time I still have not tried the fruit, but hopefully that will change soon, unless my wife beats me to that Kesar.
William

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Re: Kesar Mango
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
This is a video I shot with Noris Ledesma, at the plantation.    the video is mostly in Spanish, but there are parts in English.

Here is some explanation:

In the video you can see that Jumbo Kesar loves the climate here in a arid part of the Dominican Republic, the soil is gravely and sandy,  the trees only get watered twice a week.

The trees are 2 years in the ground. and some have fruit.

a plot with Kent, are not faring well at all, these will be top worked with Jumbo Kesar.

The plan is to export the Kesars to Europe and US,   most likely to Europe first, as they do not have thermal dip requirements yet and the only thermal dip plant in the D.R. is a few hours away, and is not modern, and is of low capacity. 

Some experimentation will be done to see find out what the best picking times are, to insure they ripen with some color, for US & EU markets.

Kesar has the characteristic of having a very good shelf life, of around 21 days, Ledesma explains that chilling actually ruins the flavor of a Kesar, and that no refrigeration will be needed, unlike other commercial varieties like the Kent.

As you can see in the video, the Jumbo Kesar, has a really nice size, and supposedly the seed is the same size as a regular Kesar, meaning a very good seed to flesh ratio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnW56M77Yw
http://youtu.be/JCnW56M77Yw

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:39:04 PM by Tropicdude »
William

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Wow TD - thought jumbo kesar look incredible....
My soil sounds similar to that in the DR - sandy
and gravely.  It's just that our temps soar in
the summer.

And it's funny, my Kent is doing fine - slow growing
but big beautiful delicious fruit....

Gary

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
I think that the Kent just needs more water than the Kesar, both trees are on the same variety rootstock.   this place is really dry, plus we have had a long drought on the Island, has not rained good in months .  I am guessing Kesar is adapted to this kind of climate, there is even a difference between the Kesar and Jumbo Kesar,   Jumbo doing the best.  So this tree may do very well for you Gary. I think they can handle the heat.

William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk