Author Topic: What is the Absolute best dwarf mango for Brevard county FLorida?  (Read 6482 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Due to the help of members of this fine forum I have learned that I can actually have and grow dwarf mangoes in my area which is in zone 9b. I have attempted to narrow it down and I just can't seem to do so. If you could only pick one or two varieties which would they be? I initially would only plant the one but if I could plant two different trees with different ripening times that could extend my harvest season I would consider two. Ideally under 10 feet and 6-8 feet would be better especially if I do in fact go with two different varieties. Most important to me are trees that will grow well in the sandy soil that I have and I am very close to salt water so if that effects me then that is a consideration. I prefer LOE maintenance so if some varieties are more disease resistant that is important to me as well. Thank you all for all of your help!

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Absolute best dwarf mango for Brevard county FLorida?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
I have the same exact question in the same exact zone, though I'm in Lakeland (more inland). Cold resistance is an important factor for me. Watching this question closely.
-Casey

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
No cold resistence varieties and no "true" dwarfs (there are a number of threads on this subject).  Do not be fooled or misguided with the term "condo mango" either.

You aould wanf to seek out "compact" growers and be ready to prune (not hatrack).  If growing in pots. You will eventually need very large pots in the not so distant future.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:14:28 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
That must be "compact" growers.
John

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:34:21 AM »
I will be growing in ground not in a pot and where I am doesn't really freeze. So if no true dwarfs exist then I will modify, what varieties with the above requirements are "compact" growers? Thanks.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
I will be growing in ground not in a pot and where I am doesn't really freeze. So if no true dwarfs exist then I will modify, what varieties with the above requirements are "compact" growers? Thanks.
Definitely Pickering!  I have Mahachanok, which seems to be compact, and I just planted Honey Kiss on the recommendation that it's compact and late-ripening.  Also, you should have no problem with Wurtz avocado (on Waldin rootstock, if possible) on Merritt Island.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:58:55 AM by johnb51 »
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »
Fairchild is the best mango for a first timer in my opinion

Even without sprays and doing it exactly right you will get a smaller tree with very tasty fruit

The Pickering is your smallest tree.  The Cotten candy has grown faster than my Pickering.  Honey kiss as well

Polk county is a lot colder than Brevard

Place your tree on the southwest side of your house to add protection or plant a Pickering in a bucket and move it in and out

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Please use the SEARCH option here. 

Here ya go. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.msg220341#msg220341

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
Just don't plant too deep.

Most failures are too deep

Leave the top root showing or its too deep

You will see the roots when you buy

That is correct depth

Some are selling mango already

Do yourself a favor and go to west palm and try before you wait on fruit you may not like

Then buy your trees knowing the outcome
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:13:32 AM by WGphil »

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Thanks everyone. Great info. I think that Pickering seems to be a good start for me. I plan to ask my local nursery if they have one butt they didn't have the Wurtz avocado I have decided on so if anyone knows of a place preferably I can drive to but if not a place that is truworthy that ships it would be helpful. Thanks!

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
We just bought a Wurtz for Lisa who is also in Brevard

Got it at Excalibur

Can try mango on same trip as
Squam and others will have fruit

They have all the mango types mentioned at Excalibur

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
Markintexas- have seen that thread and others, great info there.

WGphil- WG and Ocoee are my old stomping grounds, great advice you've given. Pickering does seem like a consistent winner on the forum for compactness but also in general. It was my first choice. How would you compare it to Fairchild?

Have spent many an hour looking over the forum and I am also probably looking at either a Rosigold/Edward (and possibly Glenn) for early, and a Venus for late to extend the harvest.

Probably more so Rosigold bc of Edward's shy production and larger growth (even though it has excellent taste). Glenn seems to overlap with Pickering, so it's prob out as well as Pickering is the more compact of the "great all around mangos". Feel free to correct/interject into my logic.

As for cold protection-I'll just be more fastidious on cold nights.

Now, to just FIND all the varieties for purchase. Looks like Excalibur is the place.
-Casey

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
NamDocMai does well as a compact mango.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
I live in brevard ..... on the island 10a ...... I have kept Glenn, cogshall, rosigold, and nam doc at those heights for 8 years or so now.  They are prolly 10 feet or so now ...... you can cut them back very very hard and they will bounce right back time after time.

The best fruiting, happiest, most hardy one is the Glenn

Just cut them back over and over to the size you want ........

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
J-grow thanks! Glen is my second choice and if I put in a second one that will likely be it. Now I just need to find where I can buy these trees. A Pickering mango and Wurtz avocado. Aaaaand maybe a glen also!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »
Glenn is not a flavor bomb like the latest Zill creations, but has a "mild peachy flavor," just as PIN describes it.  Also, they say it has a "rounded, densely foliated canopy," which is correct, so I guess it would respond to heavy pruning.  Otherwise, they will get pretty big.  (I've watched one around the corner grow and grow over the last five years--definitely beyond 15 feet!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:15:15 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 12:21:34 AM »
Glenn is not a flavor bomb like the latest Zill creations, but has a "mild peachy flavor," just as PIN describes it.  Also, they say it has a "rounded, densely foliated canopy," which is correct, so I guess it would respond to heavy pruning.  Otherwise, they will get pretty big.  (I've watched one around the corner grow and grow over the last five years--definitely beyond 15 feet!)

A Glenn will easily hit 25-30 feet.  Not gonna comment on flavor as I think many of you know my opinion on them...
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
So what do you think, Rob?  Fairchild or Honey Kiss would be better for Chris?
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
I would say go with a cogshall or a maha for your second tree. They stay pretty small and are delicious. you can go to the Ensey's farm about three miles south of pineda on tropical trail and ask for Jeff, He goes to ZHPP very regularly and can get anything you want. He used to have a sign up at the fence with is # on it, have not been by in a while but it's probably still there.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
Mahachanok ripens after Pickering so that's good.
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
also a very long season. To me they had the perfect mango taste, Not a punch in the face but I could eat them instead of dinner. you should defiantly try before you buy though. Ensey's has a maha but it is limited production, I'm going to visit squam a few times this year to try some of the things I have planted but have not tried.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
Mahachanok tends to have a drawn out season.  Fairchild is mid.  Honey Kiss is true late.  I like Fairchild a lot, I would say equal to or even possibly better rhan Mahachanok.  You can go wrong with two of these three.

I would not get Cogshall.   Quality is a good step below plus it can have some potential ossues/quirks.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
I live in Brevard county about 10 miles from the beach. My vote would be for Pickering and Rosigold for consistent production, both being very small manageable trees and if you plan on using the "set it and forget it" method, both continue to deliver. Rosigold is a little toned down compared to other mangos, but its disease resistance, precociousness, and early season make it that more valuable. Some on this forum have said they get fruit as early as February! And as Edward mentioned, FWIW I have one about 5 feet tall that wants to fruit 10 mangoes every year. I'm trying not to let it hold but 1 fruit, but the last 3 years, it has wanted to fruit like crazy in the winter and not grow very much in summer/fall. Maybe its my set it and forget it attitude :). Hope it fruits this much when it gets some size... I'll be a happy camper eating Edwards!!!

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »
You guys got me thinking ..... I know my trees were planted after the hurricanes because I lost all my trees in the storms ....... the Glenn might actually be 10 years old and started as a 15 gallon.  I cut it back hard though.

After the fruit sets I delimb everything except the branches that have fruit ( it shows off the fruit and gets a lot of comments ) and then after the fruit is picked I cut those limbs and shape the tree..

All of the varieties I mentioned respond well with that same hard pruning/cut back as did lancetiila and Maliika when I had them.

All that being said a tree that is happy staying small and doesn't need to be pruned as much would be easier for sure ...... just try the fruit first to make sure you like it! ....... this forrumm proves one mans trash mango can be another's favorite ......

Also as others have mentioned if you get two try and get varieties that ripen and different times to extend your harvest ........ those small trees will produce way more fruit than you may think and when they all come in at once it can be a project

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
Excellent advice here from everyone and somewhat overwhelming. Thanks everyone. As for tasting the fruit I'm guessing that it is too early to try any of the mango varieties? Is that correct?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
Yes, even a small tree produces much more fruit during a month or so of ripening than any one family can consume.
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Yes, even a small tree produces much more fruit during a month or so of ripening than any one family can consume.

Tell me about it!  :D

We're eating Reeds now, those that are dropping off the tree. 

Been giving away citrus for months.  Mangos and pineapples are next.  We freeze both the zest (goes into a baggie) and juice in ice trays.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:05:12 AM by Mark in Texas »