Author Topic: Winged Lime / NZL Info Needed  (Read 1467 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Winged Lime / NZL Info Needed
« on: May 04, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
There doesn't seem to be very much info available for Winged Lime (aka Black Twig Lime).  What is the cold tolerance of Winged Lime?  How vigorous?  Season? etc.  I've read NZL is vigorous, but not sure about cold tolerance and season.

Millet was kind enough to share some budwood (Thanks again!) and I recently tried to graft a few trees.  But now I need to figure out where to put them and how to treat them.  Let me know if you guys have any info or recommendations.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Winged Lime / NZL Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »
NZL did not prove to be cold hardy in the Houston area 19F freeze on two nights this January.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Lime / NZL Info Needed
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
NZL is a nice looking vigorous tree.  The blooms are pink tinged, and the  fruit is good eating directly off the tree.  I have a nZL growing in a 3.5' X 3.5' X 3.5' container; it is a very pretty tree.  When the NZL tree is in bloom be SURE to keep the roots zone well watered.  If the roots become somewhat dry, all the blooms will fall from the tree and you will get no crop. The tree seems to be over sensitive to the lack of moisture during bloom.   As for the Black Twig Lime (BTL), it does not seem to be overly vigorous.  However, my two BTL trees are growing in containers, which could have something to do with their average growth habit.  When the BTL get to be 2 - 3 years of age the stem turn quite black in color.  The fruit is good, but nothing extra special, but are good tasting much like any lime. The black stems do make for a very ornamental handsome looking tree.  If, you do not know how to graft, or don't wish to graft the BTL onto a root stock, it is  a very easy rooting variety. Of course all limes are not cold hardy at all.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:42:34 AM by Millet »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk