Author Topic: I hope this works **sigh**  (Read 7834 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this works **sigh**
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
I do something quite similar to Gambit.  There is definitely labor involved, but it will protect those fruit that you cannot tolerate squirrels getting into.  And being able to re-use is a definite plus.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
For squirrels you can wrap thing sheet metal around the trunk and they cant climb up it.  And start shooting them as suggested.

That only works if your trees are tall enough and don't have branches low enough for the squirrels to jump on. We keep our trees lower so we have to protect them.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
Thanks Tropheus and Samu  :)

Samu, I've been saving the clam shells for about 4 years now, even a couple of my friends and neighbors have been saving them for me for ( free mangoes) Lol...I was also able to purchase about 30 of them from a local Fruit Stand vendor that sold me some of his excess ones ( strawberry size) for about 3/$1.

Sorry to report they are NOT squirrel proof but they do save about half of them...it keeps them from destroying most all of my fruits...let's just say it "slows'' them down a little. Cheapest way for me to keep them protected with very little work.

For the labor/cost/time we put in growing and nurturing our "beloved" fruit trees, I don't think I'd settle for half the harvest destroyed by those critters...so, yes, I am sorry too to hear about your clam shell protection result, Pug!

So, pretty soon, I think I would make those wire cage devices similar to those done by Gambit and
Sleepdoc. I still think individual wire cages are close to 100% fool proof against squirrels/rats/birds and reusable. I also like to add, since air circulation is not disturbed, neither is the sun's ray, this wire cages are not affecting the maturity process of the fruits either. The cost and labor to make them might be a good investments in the long run..., also the thought of knowing that the fruit(s) in the cage is protected for your future enjoyment... :)

For squirrels you can wrap thing sheet metal around the trunk and they cant climb up it.  And start shooting them as suggested.

That only works if your trees are tall enough and don't have branches low enough for the squirrels to jump on. We keep our trees lower so we have to protect them.

Also, if the tree is anywhere near (within squirrel's long jumping distance) of another tree, or below other tree, or near a fence, or a roof, the sheet metal won't work either...
Sam

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

I picked all my Lychees the other day, by far this method has saved me the most fruits. I probably got about 70% of my fruits this year! Not a single bird showed up after the reflective tape and balloon was placed on the tree...the clamshells did the job. The only ones the squirrels ate were some of the ones I didn't cover up because I didn't have enough clamshells to do the whole tree. Some were one or two per cluster and not worth covering up .

I absolutely agree that the ones that Gambit and Sleepdoc made are one of the best protection I've seen. If it wasn't so labor and cost extensive I would use them for sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk