Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Will someone please make a case to save a Lancentilla tree

(1/7) > >>

Orkine:
I have a Lancentilla tree that hag grown very well.  It has flowered in the last few years and held fruit but not to ripeness on the tree.
It started gang busters this year, two flushes each setting fruit but has dropped most.  A good many in the last day with some high winds.

My question is this.
Is this fruit any good? 
The size is impressive and the few I have tried were very tart, I believe more to do with me not knowing when to pick and how to ripen.  I am however trainable and can learn but curious what you all think about this particular variety.  I got it for the novelty, but you cant eat novelty :)
I am considering getting rid of it so I can put another tree in its place but I don't want to bail early on this tree.

So, I'd like you thoughts and suggestions.

See Picture of Fruit.

Squam256:
Lancetilla is not only a serial dropper but the fruit also loves to split on the tree. What you are left with is a mediocre tasting mango.

This cultivar never should have been mentioned by Fairchild's Tropical fruit program in the first place, much less received a curators choice spot. Pine Island nursery ran with it and STILL lists it as a "condo mango". Absurd.

Topwork it or ax it and plant something else

Orkine:

--- Quote from: Squam256 on May 24, 2017, 07:08:38 PM ---Lancetilla is not only a serial dropper but the fruit also loves to split on the tree. What you are left with is a mediocre tasting mango.

This cultivar never should have been mentioned by Fairchild's Tropical fruit program in the first place, much less received a curators choice spot. Pine Island nursery ran with it and STILL lists it as a "condo mango". Absurd.

--- End quote ---

True about the splitting on the tree.  Bruises and weeps too.  Is that a Florida thing?  As a late variety catching the rains of summer and the start of the dry season must confuse the $@#% out of the fruit.  Does controlled irrigation or good drainage solve this?

One vote for cut and top work.... n counting.

mangokothiyan:

The only thing, if any, going for Lancetilla is the size of the fruit.  The taste, however, is mediocre. I suggest  pruning the tree heavily and grafting better varieties (Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Ugly Betty etc) to the new  growth.

Cookie Monster:
Yep. Since it drops 90% of its crop, what remains gets huge. Flavor is indeed mediocre. And the tree can get huge fairly quickly -- much better described as a shade tree than a condo mango. If it weren't for my wife (who, for whatever reason, loves both the gigantic size of the fruit as well as the flavor), I'd have top worked it years ago.

The PIN variety viewer is kind of a joke. My personal growing experience disagrees quite heavily with many of PIN's variety info. At times, I wonder if they just randomly generated those ratings -- which then serve as an excellent marketing tool for naive visitors who actually believe that there is some truth involved.

--- Quote from: Squam256 on May 24, 2017, 07:08:38 PM ---Lancetilla is not only a serial dropper but the fruit also loves to split on the tree. What you are left with is a mediocre tasting mango.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version