Author Topic: Graft compatibility between Pyrus, Amelanchier, Crataegus and Sorbus  (Read 2248 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Hi all.
Would like to graft over a Pyrus calleryana (Chinese Pear) with species like Amelanchier alnifolia, Crataegus schraderiana/azarolus or Sorbus aucuparia/domestica.
Which of these will work?
Is there an interstem that could potentially make all these grafts compatible with Pyrus rootstock?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:12:15 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
I know many species within the subtribe Malinae can survive being grafted onto another tree, but they often do not flourish and would not be considered truly "compatible" in the broadest sense of the word. Heavy dwarfing is frequent. In general, if you graft a much slower growing species onto a species with a much higher rate of growth, there is a high chance of long-term graft incompatibility showing up after a few years.

Sorbus and Pyrus seems to be very compatible, and there do exist interspecies hybrids between some of the different genus you mentioned, though this often does not transfer over into graft compatibility.

There are certain apple and pear varieties that you will likely have more success with for graft compatibility.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:28:16 PM by SoCal2warm »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Graft compatibility between Pyrus, Amelanchier, Crataegus and Sorbus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »
I would be concerned with viability of sorbus in a tropical/subtropical climate. Sorbus aucuparia grow like weeds for me on top of a mountain in 6b, but most sorbus/Rowan/mountain ash are happier in zone 5 and lower as I'm sure you've studied. Our native Sorbus Americana was at one time classified as pyrus Americana. From what I've studied, Sorbus readily hybridizes with other members of the rose family. I have a locally grown hybrid Rowan from wild gathered seeds that flowers profusely at a young age every year and produces fruit and flowers all along the lengths of dropping branches. Rowan and callery pear are both vigorous growers; don't know why one would graft one onto the other, but good luck in your efforts. Let us know about results.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Graft compatibility between Pyrus, Amelanchier, Crataegus and Sorbus
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
After reading your post again, I bet you could graft all of the above onto the callery pear. The pear is a heavier frame tree so the more slender Rowan and hawthorn limbs would be better served as part of upper body of tree instead of rootstock for a pear graft.