Author Topic: Custard Apple Pollination Question  (Read 3152 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Custard Apple Pollination Question
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
I live in south Florida. I have two custard Apple trees that are flowering for the first time. Do these trees need to be hand pollinated or will they fruit naturally? I have bees on the property as well, FYI. I don't want to miss my window. Also, if they need to be hand pollinated, can someone offer the details of this? Thanks!

-Jon

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Custard Apple Pollination Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
Jon.... What varieties are these Custard Apples ????? Some require hand Pollination others don't but if you want more fruit hand pollinate.... You can always remove fruit if you get too many takes........ Mike

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Jon.... What varieties are these Custard Apples ????? Some require hand Pollination others don't but if you want more fruit hand pollinate.... You can always remove fruit if you get too many takes........ Mike

It's San Pablo. Do I have to hand pollinate? If so, please explain?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
Yes. You will get little to zero fruits if you ignore it. Follow these simple steps
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaBVR-YrQc

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »
Yes. You will get little to zero fruits if you ignore it. Follow these simple steps

But again, I'm in south Miami Florida, almost in the Florida Keys. The gentelmen in the video remarks that hand pollination is not necessary for locations like mine, let alone the fact that I have bee hives on my land. He is also discussing Cherimoya rather than custard Apple. That said, I understand it can't hurt but I'd also hate to start a practice that isn't necessary, seeing as this is my first go around. I may mark a few flowers I don't hand pollinate and see how they produce. I guess that's the only way to truly know.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
Bees are irrelevant, Annona reticulata (called custard apple here in the US) is pollinated by nitidulid beetles, just like sugar apple, cherimoya and atemoya (which are called custard apples in Australia). Sure, custard apples will set fruit here in FL without hand pollination, but you will get more fruit and larger fruit set with hand pollination.

You mentioned this is the first time these trees are flowering. How large are they?

But again, I'm in south Miami Florida, almost in the Florida Keys. The gentelmen in the video remarks that hand pollination is not necessary for locations like mine, let alone the fact that I have bee hives on my land. He is also discussing Cherimoya rather than custard Apple. That said, I understand it can't hurt but I'd also hate to start a practice that isn't necessary, seeing as this is my first go around. I may mark a few flowers I don't hand pollinate and see how they produce. I guess that's the only way to truly know.
Dom

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
Got ya. One tree is about 8ft and the other is about 4ft, both with about 2" diameter trunks

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
Another year of growth first would be helpful.  Good mineral supplementation is helpful (including Boron, Calcium, and Zinc).  Maintaining some rotting fruit on the ground for Nitidulid beetles to multiply in is helpful.
Har

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
Anyone know the best time of day to pollinate?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »
The last hour or two before sunset.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk