Author Topic: Mango splitting  (Read 3340 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Mango splitting
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »

The heavy rain that we have had in the last few days has caused splitting of mangoes in my NDM#4, Sweet Tart and Bailey' Marvel.  The worst affected is ST. Anyone else dealing with this problem?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango splitting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »

The heavy rain that we have had in the last few days has caused splitting of mangoes in my NDM#4, Sweet Tart and Bailey' Marvel.  The worst affected is ST. Anyone else dealing with this problem?

NDM and ST are prone to splitting in general but in general, the rain doesnt help.  Certain deficiencies can also cause splitting.  If I recall, your yard is on the flat side where your fruit trees are.  Does it hd water and/or slow to drain off?
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »

Alampur Baneshan is the worst when it comes to this.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »

It drains well, but  this time, the area next to the ST was waterlogged for more than a day. Maybe that caused it?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »

Alampur Baneshan is the worst when it comes to this.

I was planning to topwork one of my trees with Alampur Baneshan. Now having  second thoughts

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
I've only had 2 NDM#4's split. Which was extremely surprising. In the past I've lost over 25% of fruit to splitting. I have been giving them a bit more calcium sulfate (gypsum) and potassium more regularly this year than I have in the past which seems to have kept the splitting to a bare minimum. (Less than 4 all season.)
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:15:51 PM »
No splitting here. But I keep my trees watered twice a week, so it's not a shock when they suddenly get water.
Jeff  :-)

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
I only have 2 actual NDM mangos on my little tree and I've been so anxious with all the weather lately that something would go wrong and they would get ruined. Luckily they are still hanging in there. Should I pick them? They are pretty big but I just don't wanna mess up my first mangos

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
I only have 2 actual NDM mangos on my little tree and I've been so anxious with all the weather lately that something would go wrong and they would get ruined. Luckily they are still hanging in there. Should I pick them? They are pretty big but I just don't wanna mess up my first mangos

No, not ready unless you are looking to eat them green.
- Rob

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »

No, not ready unless you are looking to eat them green.

Man I was tempted to pick them and let them get ripe in safety today. Glad I didn't

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
After the most of the rain, I checked on my tress and two had fruits that had split.  One, had just the one fruit but the split was almost the whole length of the fruit.  The other had several mangoes with splits on the stem end.  I picked a few off but some had fallen by themselves.
The birds and raccoons are having a feast.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 06:00:52 AM »
Just like Cookie Monster said in the past. I watered trees holding fruit, maybe 10 gallons, twice a week standing in the yard looking like a dummy wondering if it was worth it. My Springfel will spit but it has a full load of fruit this year. So far no fruit splitting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk