Author Topic: Second Citrus bloom?  (Read 3126 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Second Citrus bloom?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »
Anyone else getting second blooms on their orange and mandarin trees?  I've got a couple mandarin trees and a naval orange which all set nice fruits many months ago.  Now they are blooming again.  Not sure I have had this ever happen before.
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Second Citrus bloom?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »
A second bloom is more or less common.  The fruit set on the second bloom is almost always of less quality.  My Cara Cara's second bloom from last season is just now maturing  The quality is poor.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:57:59 AM by Millet »

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:02:03 PM »
The second bloom on my Washington navel is starting to colour just now so I am looking forward to tasting any difference from the main crop

Mick

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:23:05 AM »
Very nice let me know please how they are.  I guess we are roughly 6 months out of synch.  I'm in a pretty warm and fully exposed area here so I think the 2nd fruits should still be OK.  The trees are doing a really nice flush and bloom again.  I probably need to spray for leaf miners again in a few weeks.  Is there a best time to apply it relative to blooming?
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »
You can spray either before the flowers open or after the fruit has set.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
My lemon tree is blooming again. It's much appreciated as I had very few fruit set from the initial bloom.  Very few bees were in the tree when the first set was blooming as opposed to previous years when the entire tree would be buzzing.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
A lemon tree sets its big bloom in the spring, but all lemons bloom to a lesser degree all year around.  The lemon flower does not need bees to set fruit.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:42 AM »
Is the reason for lesser fruit quality (from second bloom) because lack of sunshine and warmth? or other reason?

raggashack

• Austria, Vienna, 6-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
hello iam the new one and iam also interessted in susanne's question, so i googled and what i found was this

http://irrec.ifas.ufl.edu/flcitrus/pdfs/short_course_and_workshop/citrus_flowering_97/Davies-Overview_of_Climatic_Effects.pdf

In the summary it says, "Climate has a dramatic effect on flowering and fruit quality of citrus". But in the pdf theres plenty more information about this. Still iam asking myself if i will ever be able to produce an "acceptable" fruit quality here in my climate, in austria, vienna, which is about climate zone 6-7, but iam not entirely sure.

does anybody have any thoughts about this topic for susanne and me?

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Thank you for looking that up Raggashack. That confirms a bit what I was thinking. I hope that if there are fruits on my tree that still need to get ripe, that it will be enough to bring them in the house with extra light and warmth.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »
My croxton grapefruit took well over a year to ripen two years in a row and the fruit quality and color not good. Supposed to be pink grapefruit but was only a hint of pink after being on tree over a year. Did spend winter outside though protected from severe freeze with plastic sheeting and space heater but was kept dormant. Citrus, especially grapefruit need a certain number of heat units over a year/season for development. I learned this on this forum. Someone put a map showing heat units zones for the USA on this forum once; similar to the cold hardiness map, those of us north of SC don't get optimal heat units over a year's time for citrus development.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
Susanne, after your citrus tree has spent the summer season outside, if the tree's fruit is not fully mature you can provide extra "artificial" heat unites inside your house, and extra light to obtain fruit with acceptable quality.   A plant can grow and produce fruit at the North Pole if all of the plants requirement are artificially met.