Author Topic: Need help- Kumquat tree and self waterers!  (Read 903 times)

jeffpas

• Springfield, IL
    • View Profile
Need help- Kumquat tree and self waterers!
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
Hi All,

I want to try growing a potted kumquat tree as its my favorite fruit.... I have done fig trees once before with some success but what worries me is that web pages say kumquat is suceptible to root rot.  In fact they even suggest raising the pot up above the ground and having lots of holes.
What I'm wondering is if something like this- a self watering insert- would help, or hurt such a situation?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southern-Patio-6-3-5-in-x-4-in-Plastic-Self-Watering-Insert-SWI-038801/300492193?cm_mmc=Shopping

With large outdoor pots, overwatering can be a problem as of course they are exposed to rain, etc. so as the self-waterer waters by transpiration would that avoid overwatering, or never allow the roots to dry out, and make it worse.
Also since I live in a temperate zone I'll have to take it in in the winter.   I have a spot in the basement by the window with overhead lights, I've used to winter figs successfully but I'm not sure also since some pages say the plant fruits in winter, if this would make it non-fruiting.   Anybody have any suggestions?  Much appreciated!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:39:48 AM by jeffpas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Need help- Kumquat tree and self waterers!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
If you use a large enough pot and use a well draining mix with lots of perlite or pumice you shouldn't need to worry much about over watering.  I would water by hand heavily then let the dirt get faily dry between waterings.  My dad had a half dozen or so of those kumquats in big pots out in our backyard as a kid.  They fruited easily and didn't get picky about watering.  The pots should probably be 25 gallons or larger if possible.  If you can use an LED grow lamp on the trees in winter it would be better than regular lighting.
Brad Spaugh

jeffpas

• Springfield, IL
    • View Profile
Re: Need help- Kumquat tree and self waterers!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
I have killed plants before by overwatering and root rot, so I'm looking for a solution especially in the case of citrus such as kumquats that says it is prone to it.
Too bad, it seems the perfect answer!    Or would it make it worse... can't seem to tell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk