Author Topic: Coconut Cream mango readiness  (Read 2956 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Coconut Cream mango readiness
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
I have two coconut creams on my tree. Don't want to loose then I need an idea when they will be ready in The Miami Dade  city limits.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Cream mango readiness
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
Thinking of planting one. Can you share your experience.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
I have two coconut creams on my tree. Don't want to loose then I need an idea when they will be ready in The Miami Dade  city limits.

They are ready when they start getting some yellow/gold and time rosy color.  The more color the better (usually).  When they are at peak, they fall from the tree very easily so be careful when picking.

For this year, if its not fruit from the early bloom, it will probably be a couple few more qeeks till ghey will moat likely be reasy.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
I will be watching for the color change.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
With most mangoes, the color break is a good determiner, but if you want to get them at their peak, give the mango about a 10-15 degree tilt. If it breaks off, then it's ready, if not, give it a little longer. It's not a practical technique if you're harvesting thousands of mangoes, but for the home grower it yields the best results.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
With most mangoes, the color break is a good determiner, but if you want to get them at their peak, give the mango about a 10-15 degree tilt. If it breaks off, then it's ready, if not, give it a little longer. It's not a practical technique if you're harvesting thousands of mangoes, but for the home grower it yields the best results.

That does not work for all mangoes.  Many will release without that degree of twist, ready or not and some that are ready will not release under the same turning.  Its knowing the variety and when its best to pick each variety if looking for perfect peak.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
To provide a visual example... would you say this CC is ready for harvest? The shoulders are definitely yellow, though the majority of the mango is green. Only have 6 - 7 or so hanging on, so don't want to screw up with this first harvest from this tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
To provide a visual example... would you say this CC is ready for harvest? The shoulders are definitely yellow, though the majority of the mango is green. Only have 6 - 7 or so hanging on, so don't want to screw up with this first harvest from this tree.

Hard to tell for sure but that looks more like "sunburn" vs mango coloring up.  You may be able to pick it and have it rilen but I would wait if it were mine.

Oh, dont be surprised if its washed out with no teal flavir.  Coconut Cream will be easily affected by the excessive rains and washout.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »
Coincidentally Chris just posted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfpWgelDm4

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »

Hard to tell for sure but that looks more like "sunburn" vs mango coloring up.  You may be able to pick it and have it rilen but I would wait if it were mine.

Oh, dont be surprised if its washed out with no teal flavir.  Coconut Cream will be easily affected by the excessive rains and washout.

The tree is planted by the canal and was literally underwater for 4 days, so I'm not expecting much here.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
Photo of a ripe coconut cream here:

http://mangosbymail.com/our-mangos

If you don't have a bird/squirrel problem, you can probably wait until it falls on the ground.  CC tastes best when fairly soft.  Since you have two, experiment.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
This video shows ripening coconut creams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfpWgelDm4
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
This video shows ripening coconut creams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfpWgelDm4

No offense to Chris but she picks her fruit way too green.  Those that she picked should be left on the tree longer.
- Rob