Author Topic: Mangosteen Pics from Fairchild  (Read 3177 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Mangosteen Pics from Fairchild
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
Went to Mango Fest 2017 today, and had a great time checking everything out; especially the mangosteen trees. They have several trees fruiting, 3 medium sized ones very close together, and I believe the smaller one may be mangosteen as well. Also, they have durian growing rather large there. Did not notice any fruits on that tree.

...and a bunch o' mangoes

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mangosteen Pics from Fairchild
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
Looks good did you taste any Mangoes?
If so what's there any winners ?

Ed
Zone 10

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
We did not do the mango tasting, so I don't know. Spent a bit of time looking at the trees for sale, and almost bought a magnifera casturi until I finally realized how big it would get.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
...also, they are selling nice little trees of m. odorata (kuini) there. Saw a bunch of people ordering seeds, why not pick up a tree get a few years jump on the game!?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Those mangoes look to be crying for their trees...
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
yeah, many looked to be picked too early. Mango Fest waits for no one.

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
The only mangoes available for tasting, at least at the end of the day on Saturday, were Kent, Tommy Atkins, Ataulfo, Florigon, Glenn, and Madame Francis. The Florigon I tasted was barely even ripe, but everything else was at least semi-representative. The Glenn showed well, but it didn't have terribly stiff competition! :p

Nathaniel

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »
The festival S-U-C-K-E-D !!!!! Their mango tasting consisted of Tommy Atkins and Glenn. They had only the most old school, standard mangos for sale, MOSTLY picked too early. Fairchild, with there bazillion mangos they cultivate, didn't even have a sales tent. They hired some other company to come in and offer a smattering of take it or leave it mangos. Some weren't even identified, the signs just said stuff like 'Philippines'. The musical act was a 80 year old woman in pink sweat pants with unavoidablely apparent camel toe. There were no newer mangos available for sale such as all the new Zill varieties of the past decade or two.  Most people were not knowledgeable at all about mangos. We were very disappointed. I could have went to Home Depot and got a better education on mangos. It was like some Fairchild greenhorn put the event together 5 days ago.  Aweful. Actually, to be honest I went directly to Fruit and Spice park and drowned my disappointment by walking Mango Allley and gorging on a zillion different mangos for FREE !

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
The festival S-U-C-K-E-D !!!!! Their mango tasting consisted of Tommy Atkins and Glenn. They had only the most old school, standard mangos for sale, MOSTLY picked too early.

Sorry to hear that.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
The festival S-U-C-K-E-D !!!!! Their mango tasting consisted of Tommy Atkins and Glenn. They had only the most old school, standard mangos for sale, MOSTLY picked too early.

Sorry to hear that.

To be honest, when is the last time it was truly good...
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »
no one cares about mangosteen trees? just complainers about mango fest, lol.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:12:42 PM by roblack »

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Your pictures are lovely, roblack! I wonder what will become of those mangosteen if they ripen to maturity.... If a plate of five unripe mangoes can fetch over $100 at the Mango Festival, imagine what one Florida-grown mangosteen could fetch!  :o

N.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »
Thanks N! It gave me hope to see the mangosteen trees fruiting like that. Hope they don't all go to waste. I know someone who knows someone's grandfather whom jumped the fence at the agricultural research center to snatch mangoes. Can only imagine what lengths fruit freaks would go to for fresh mangosteen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk